Removing FWB sight...*really* stuck

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

melchloboo

Removing FWB sight...*really* stuck

Post by melchloboo »

I found a wrench that fits the sight on the sights that came on a used fwb300s...but it just won't budge...the wrench is digging into the sight, that's how tight it is.

Anybody ever deal with this?

1. Just checking, to remove the sight I do turn counter-clockwise?!
2. Are there any thread-loosening products that would harm the sight or its finish, if I decide to try one?
3. Were the sights held in place with loctite or similar compound from the factory? I'd prefer not to apply heat...

I suspect 30 years of never being loosened the screw may be unmovable without damaging the sight or block...
jhawk

Post by jhawk »

Could you possibly take a picture of your sight so we could see exactly what you are faced with? I thought about penetrating oil the other day when you said it was stuck, but like you, I don't know for sure. I don't think Break Free would hurt anything though, and it is really threads and a block, and all metal, so I don't think you would have a problem. Call Neal Stepp at 817-595-2090 and ask him about loosening the iris.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Someone at the yahoo fwb300 forum/group suggested a few things, prompted me to ask my neighborhood mechanic what he uses for cars. He gave me a can of a product called PB...it really penetrated and she gave up without too much fight. Almost as satisfying as shooting a 10!

Now the search for an iris and front sight can begin!