Impact changes

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

little_doodie

Impact changes

Post by little_doodie »

What if any impact changes are there from 50' to 25yards to 50 yards?
I have shot 22 rifle for 25+ years and have recently took an interest in bullseye and I have never shot an outdoor pistol match.
I have an outdoor match tomorrow that I would like to attend and would rather go into it knowing if the gun is going to change some.
I will be shooting 22 and I have a 45 but its not ready for competition yet so i will shoot 22 only.
What about the 45? does that have simmilar drop?
I am guessing the 45 will drop a little more.
Thoughts?
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

Generally there is no sight adjustment needed with a .22 between any normal bullseye range - 50 feet to 50 yards.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

If you use the same ammo at the 50 yard line with a .45 as at the 25 yard line the change in sight elevation will be down about 4-6 clicks on a red dot sight when you go to the short line. Many people use a hotter load at the 50 yard line and this can change the equation somewhat. You might be able to adjust the loads so that the difference is negligible or if your long line load is really hot and your short line load is really light it may drop even more. One additional factor that can affect how many clicks you need to drop at the short line in in timed and rapid fire I tend to hit higher as I work the trigger quickly and need to either aim at the bottom of the black or adjust my sights even lower to get a good group where I want them. I think this is because I am pulling the trigger as the gun settles and more often than not it tends not to quite settle into the 10 ring as the shot goes off. This is more true in rapid fire than in timed fire. Isabel.
2650 Plus

Sight changes for different ranges/ distances

Post by 2650 Plus »

I can tell you what works for me, Matches are often fired with the first targets at 50 yards. That will be three targets, two for the slow fire match and one to be part of the 30 shot national match course. Every shot is a zeroing shot . If your group is not centered on the ten ring,get your screwdriver out and make the necessary adjutments, I have to come down two clichs with the Bomar type sight on my 22 to center the group at 25 yards, and I use the same rule if my group is not centered. Different ranges with different lighting often causes slight changes in group placement and I do not hesitate to make sight adjustments to compensate. After you come off the 50 yard line , it is common to fire the timed and rapid fire portion of the national match course next. this completes the 30 shot NMC. Next is the timed fire with 20 shots fired in five shot strings , 20 seconds per string. You finish the 90 shot aggraget with the first gun with the last 20 shots being fired in five shot strings with a ten second time limit per string. Good Shooting Bill Horton
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Thats pretty good to know.
I knew with shooting 22 rifle there was very little difference but 22 lr is a little slower out of a 5" barrel compared to a 26" barrel.
I did not figure it was huge but I figured I would ask.

I feel more confident and thats what I was looking for
Thanks
As for the 45 I figured it would drop from balistic tables.
Its great to tap on others experiances too.
Thanks again...