AR standing position: glove selection

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

melchloboo

AR standing position: glove selection

Post by melchloboo »

I am starting 10m air rifle, just having fun right now. I don't want to start buying any clothing just yet, except maybe a glove for the left hand. I use the left first to support the rifle.

What do I look for in a glove, particularly when I don't have much opportunity to try it out? I'm in Florida, to my knowledge nowhere to easily by ski gloves ;-) I do have an old ice hockey glove, but it probably has too much padding. I'd like something that would be legal for competitions someday.

Thanks
Hap Rocketto

Glove

Post by Hap Rocketto »

I use a simple cloth garden/work glove that is covered with lots of small rubber 'dots.' It is non slip, flexible, comfortable, and inexpensive while still meeting ISSF rules.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Thanks. Will steal the wife's ;-)
WRC

Post by WRC »

My first "glove" was a combo of a new brown jersey glove (new, so it was a bit fluffier) inside a leather glove. Be aware that the padding and rubber in a shooting glove are really the trick for shooting, ESPECIALLY off the fist - so, when you can, I'd suggest buying your first glove. Make it full fingers, with the flexible black rubber. The ones with the stiff white rubber will not curl around enough to make a good fist. There was a place in Canada, selling thru EBay, that had gloves for a decent price to start out. Check around.
talladega

Post by talladega »

For myself I have a Sauer glove. I was told a cut finger glove was better so I got the one with the cut fingers and top grip rubber on it. ( http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/media/59319.jpg )Was quite expensive at $80 but it works for me. When I got it though I was only shooting 3P .22 so it worked good. But i've seen some people using gloves that have that solid white stuff on it, specifically the glove by Kurt Thune ( http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/media/15440.jpeg ).

I am also shooting in Air Rifle so I wonder if there is a benefit of the solid Kurt Thune glove over the top grip Sauer glove I have? And how about full finger vs. cut finger. People i've talked to like the cut finger better because you hands get sweaty with full finger.

I just found an interesting glove. It has the solid stuff on the back of the hand and top grip rubber on the fingers. http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/media/15450.jpeg

As for getting a glove for a cheap price Champion Shooters has some gloves for a low price. http://www.championshooters.com/store/home.php?cat=266
WRC

Post by WRC »

Specifically for shooting OFF THE FIST, this is what I've observed, as a shooter & coach - In order to curl up the hand into a fist, the glove needs some flexibility, which the hard white rubber of gloves like Monard, Thune, etc, will NOT do. Ans, Sauer, cheepies, etc with the flexible top-grip black rubber will not fight the hand. You may need two gloves in 3P - a stiff one for prone/kneel and more flex for standing off the fist.
Again from observation, depending on the size of hand & glove, the cut fingers MAY interfere with the fist, in that the cut lands just where the fist engages the stock. There can be discomfort, and poor hand/stock contact. For starting out, buy a cheap full finger, and CAREFULLY clip the fingertips off if you need ventilation. Think long & hard first. :^) Coach PL
talladega

Post by talladega »

For myself the cut fingers work good and I have short fingers anyways so they hardly stick out of the glove. But one thing I have been having trouble with in Air Rifle is I find it difficult to always have the gun rest on my fist the same way each time. Sometimes my wrist will flex and other times it will stay straight and I do not always notice it right away. 2 weeks ago I shot at my 2nd and 3rd air rifle matches at the Provincials and my wrist has be really sore since then.

But I guess it will also be different for each person. I mainly do .22 in Canada's 'Sporting Rifle' category and only started Air Rifle a few months ago.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Keep your fist turned so that the fingers are parallel to the barrel. (palm facing you) That will reduce wrist bending. As usual, keep that on your checklist of items to look for as you set up for each shot. I'd guess your wrist was sore because you were using muscles while it was bent. A straight wrist gets most support from the forearm bones.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

WRC-This is what I do but my knuckles are sore. Bad technique or just need better glove?
talladega

Post by talladega »

I never have a problem with my knuckles being sore. I would think it could be the glove. What kind do you use?

WRC, thanks for that tip! I will try to remember that.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Just a glove from the hardware store with padded knuckles. Maybe I didn't give my hand time to recover from when I didn't have a glove at all.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Sore knuckles = see post on "wedding ring" thread. PL

PS- I shot for many years off the fist with a homemade glove, but finally did have to change due to fingers hurting. Get thee to a real shooting glove as soon as practical! :^)
talladega

Post by talladega »

melchloboo wrote:Just a glove from the hardware store with padded knuckles. Maybe I didn't give my hand time to recover from when I didn't have a glove at all.
I would say that is the reason unless you have really pointy knuckles. Get a shooting glove as soon as you can.