Sling problems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bored184

Sling problems

Post by bored184 »

I am still fairly new to prone shooting. I use a Rem 40X with a Redfield Palma rear and an Olympic front. As far as my equipment, I use a Freeland hand stop with a AHG sling. I am having problems keeping my sling in place. I do not have a shooting jacket so I slide my sling over the sleeve of my shirt. I start shooting pretty good groups but as my sling starts to slide down my arm my groups start too open up. Does anybody know of a way I can keep my sling in place?

Thanks,
Bored184
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I don't think you can do mutch without a jacket.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

If you have a sweatshirt you can dedicate to shooting, you could sew a loop into it to keep the sling on your upper arm. Otherwise, you could try a higher position to increase the angle between your sling and arm or you can tighten the sling more around your arm.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I tend to agree in that you really need a jacket, of some description. An old leather or denim / canvas jacket may be good enough, but you really need a way of fixing the sling in the same position on the arm (i.e. so it doesn't slide down)

Rob.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

A shooting jacket is essential.
I coach juniors and the first piece of equipment I reccomend is a jacket that fits.
a used or new jacket is the best answer.
I would avoid thin cloth jackets (old 10x style) and look toward cordura or leather.
2650 Plus

Post subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Yes, get a decent shooting jacket, but the simplist and cheapest way to deal with your sling slipping down is to sew a button on the outside of whatever you have to function as a sling stop. Good Shooting Bill Horton
bored184

Post by bored184 »

Thanks for all the help, Ill will start my quest for a used shooting jacket soon.

Bored184
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Or you could wind the clock back and use a two-point sling. They work pretty well.