Sporter Class Air Rifle / New Shooter /Help Needed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jackvance

Sporter Class Air Rifle / New Shooter /Help Needed

Post by jackvance »

I would like some advice on buying a sporter class air rifle.

My goal is to twofold: to enjoy sporter class air rifle and to find a way to train sight picture & etc at home on rainy days (I shoot hp match rifle and 3 gun competitions).

Any thoughts on which rifle to buy and where from?

About all I know is that the Avanti 753 and 887??

I suppose my concern is that the Avanti rifles may have some defect (bad sights?) that is going to prevent me from running them out of the box. I want a air rifle that works and I can shoot with no fuss.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Also consider the Air Arms MPR Precision.

Peeps
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

If you are an older shooter (15+), I'd really recommend the 887.

Don't worry about the sights .... when you are shooting in the range where you need finer adjustment, usually you are interested in moving to precision/Intl air. The national record was set (and then tied again a year later) with an 888 and stock sights .... plenty good for the vast majority of the sporter shooters

It is a sporter in both CMP and NRA matches.
The Air Arms in sporter configuration is only legal in NRA events
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I second the 887. The sights are good enough to compete out of the box. The CO2 cylinder lasts me about 300 shots, and can be refilled at any paintball or sporting goods store. No underlever pumping means you can get into prone and not have to break position to charge. The cost is affordable so you won't break the bank.