Old Anschutz model 220 air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

yourotherleft

Old Anschutz model 220 air rifle

Post by yourotherleft »

I am not sure if I post this in the correct forum as my recently purchased Anschutz is not necessarily "Olympic" style air rifle.

I have a bad habbit of stripping and cleaning any used gun I purchased. Not really sure why, but I just have to do it. Maybe I want to know how things work or maybe I just don't hate my life enough. :)

Last night, in the process of cleaning it, I used regular gun oil inside chamber and seal. I learned today that it is a big no-no. Is there anyway I can save this rifle?

At the rear of the receiver (just underneath the rear sight) there is a screw-on cap that I'm itch to open. Is it a good idea?

Also, any idea on where I can get/purchase a copy of manual for this rifle? I tried to contact Anschutz but no reply so far.

Thanks in advance for advices and comments.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I share your disease! I had a 250 that I had completely apart. I think the 220 is similar. Sorry but I just cannot remember the details of how it all came apart. It should probably be disassembled by someone and cleaned up. With the 250 no parts were available so I had to make my own breach seal and the little hydraulic damper leaked so I had to find seals for that on my own. Forget Anschutz on this one they will not be any help. I spoke with Steve at ten ring when I was working on my 250 and he had one in his shop that needed parts and he could not get them either. Just be careful as you take it apart that you don't let the spring go flying. My 250 shot great after I got done with it but it took some tinkering.
big52

Re: Anschutz 220

Post by big52 »

I have not owned the model 220, however I have owned the 250 and also a model 250 that shared vary similar things to the 220. If you go to the Anschutz website there is still a parts breakdown for download there, no parts will be available for the gun though. If you wish to take the gun apart to clean it if you made a mistake about oiling or something like this you should be okay as long as you are careful. I beleive on a 250 I owned had a threaded end cap on the receiver and as I unscrewed it it let off the mainspring but it still had a oil dampner unit which your 220 will not have. That 220 is a very neat rifle and if it was shooting when you got it why it might be worth being careful and either seeking out someone to help you if you need some help as I am shure it is a collectible gun also you might ask on the American Vintage airgun forum there are some people there who own model 220 guns.
yourotherleft

Post by yourotherleft »

Thanks for the comments. As for chamber lubricants, which one do you guys recommends? Should I smear this lubricant onto the rubber seal or should I leave it dry? Thanks again.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I keep hearing to use silicone based oil on the seals. Spray some silicone spray into a dish, and use a toothpick to get a drop and apply.
yourotherleft

Post by yourotherleft »

Hello, pardon my ignorance. Since I'm new to air rifle and I do not have manual for this rifle, can anyone point me the obvious; where to drop the chamber oil.
Does A get chamber oil? O-ring? and B gets spring cylinder oil?

I am using RWS air rifle cleaning kit.

Pls help. Thank you.