Training Program Design

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

PETE S

Training Program Design

Post by PETE S »

Now here is a web site that helps one train for achieving a goal! Ok, it is for running rather than shooting. I have found this to be very helpful as I working on my running skills.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach

We do have some elements of this type of web site around the internet, it might be interesting for us to share what we have found.

I also think it is interesting if you are trying to train for a particular event like a 10k, you don't run all that many 10k in the training. You do a series of different runs and workouts with the goal of the 10k. Each workout and run has a different purpose to improve your 10k run goal.

Are there parallels to shooting training?
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

As a matter of fact, yes.

Your point is spot-on (see note below); that's exactly what I have been preaching/offering for years. This is directly related to the various "training vs. practice" threads Ed, David, I and others have been hammering on from about two years ago.

You may not agree with how I (or others) organize the elements of the fundamentals (or the drills I have identifid to focus on each element), but I have tossed it out here for comment/modification fairly recently.

I did get some feedback (both publicly anbd privately) but it appears most folks aren't interested in "training" per se but are quite wrapped up in "practice" which is much easier to do.

"The only way to learn how to shoot is to shoot."

True enough.

However, " . . . the only way to learn how to shoot better is to learn how to perform all of the individual aspects of shooting better . . . " may also have some merit.

Steve

(oddly enough Pete- my approach is based on training principles I learned from coaching Track and Field and organized youth sports (soccer & basketball)! Go figure.) There are some "universal training principles" that cross over between disciplines, as you quite accurately have noted.)