Thermally Controlled Stocks & Grips for Competition Arms

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ed Hall

Thermally Controlled Stocks & Grips for Competition Arms

Post by Ed Hall »

Brought to you from the same source as The Hydraulic Trigger and Micro-Gyroscopic Grips, new thermally controlled stocks and grips are now being studied.

The principle:

Keeping the temperature of a firearm consistent adds another dimension to the ever increasing accuracy needed to gain an edge in today's demanding championships. Can anyone contest the fact that the more consistent all aspects are, the more consistent the results? The concept of temperature control is not new, but it has only been touched on by a few in the shooting arena. By ensuring that all shots are fired from a firearm that is consistently the same temperature, optimum results can be obtained. Groups can be tightened.

The workings:

Tiny thermal monitors send signals to a microcontroller which, in turn, controls peltier junctions to maintain the optimum temperature for the firearm. Through the use of a small vernier control, the user can adjust the firearm temperature above or below the ambient temperature of the surroundings. This temperature is maintainable within tenths of a degree. In cooler weather, the firearm is brought up to its optimum, which also provides a bonus for the shooter competing in colder conditions, since the gun can warm the hand(s) as well. In warmer weather, the temperature can be lowered which helps prevent sweating.

The capability of the firearm to maintain a fixed temperature also allows for a benefit in choice of lubrication. No more need for different viscosities due to differing temperatures. A gain all around.

Shooters wanting the extreme edge from this technology can experiment to find the best temperature for a given ammunition lot and record that info in their journal. On match day, all they need to do is set the control to their chosen best value and fire the match with confidence all rounds will be from a consistent chamber. If it happens to be cold that day, no problem; the gun will be as comfortable as when firing in warmer weather. Even hand changes due to weather should be minimized.

With advancements like the Hydraulic Trigger, Micro-Gyroscopes and Thermally Controlled firearms, how could we not be posting perfect scores?

Have a "Happy Day!"

And, as always, all comments are welcome...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Ed
That's some very interesting tech and maybe its the way forward for a temp controlled rifle.
Thermally adaptable cheek pieces and grips are already on some makes of rifle. I'm sure the ISSF would not sanction a miniature gyroscope.
All the manufacturers are aware of the heat problem and alu stocks, as they can expand and contract when hot and cold which in theory can throw your zero out. Wooden stocks are not so susceptible to heat change and nor is carbon fibre.
I'm sure this subject will generate some interesting comments, so thanks you for that.
While we are on the subject of future tech, i heard that one manufacturer is working on a way to do away with stored compressed air for air rifles and replacing it with a hydraulic system to generate enough high pressure air for each shot. Its only a rumour and i have no idea how it works.

Peeps
Rover

Post by Rover »

You may not be aware that the Russian free pistol shooters tried this technology back in the early '60s (being from a cold country), but it was disallowed by the ISSF after protests by Finnish shooters.

I think you may be able to find the Russian equivalents to the US patents by searching on line for "microthermal controllers", but the important ones will be in Russian. The technology was somewhat suppressed by Democrats in the US government after the multi-thousand dollar heated airplane toilet seat scandal some years ago.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the additional technology that was introduced in these grips! It was a solid-state gyroscopic sensor (one that actually lead to the technology used in the Nintendo Wii controllers!) but it sensed motion from the pistol as pressure was applied to the trigger. If too much motion was sensed as the trigger released, an electrical shot was given to the shooter, providing negative sensory input for poorly executed shots. The thought was to train the subconscious to avoid pain.

The ISSF also banned this technology as it was deemed cruel and unusual training forced on shooting athletes against their will by some nations.

A Swedish group is working on the other side... a grip with a build in massage feature for well executed shots. Good trigger pull, with no pistol motion is rewarded by a massage device. I don't have any details on this unique training concept. But I understand that more details should be available exactly one year from today. Stay tuned!
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Quickly noting a problem with the energy requirements for such an accessory, it is still cool this early in April.

My suggestion to add to development would be a wind powered generator of as small enough size to use with these thermocouples. The small wind powered generator would have to be mounted on the shooters head, but from that location would supply enough energy to power any warming accessory on the rifle.

Am sure ISSF would have to establish standards on size and color, but can you just imagine Camp Perry or Bisley with a long line of hat mounted wind generators.

Until next year.
Oz

Post by Oz »

isuguncoach wrote:Quickly noting a problem with the energy requirements for such an accessory, it is still cool this early in April.
I hadn't heard about the wind turbines... but yes. Without an outlet at each shooters position, this has been an issue. I saw a few solar collector prototypes. A new ISSF mandate will come down requiring a specific fluorescent lighting requirement at the shooters station to ensure enough light energy can be collected by the solar panels. Efficiency is the biggest issue. The current head-mounted panels I saw were just under a meter square! That's just awkward ;)

Post by Guest »

This is as good of an April Fools subject as I've heard in quite some time. If it isn't an April Fools joke, it should be...

Eric U