FWB300s Cleaning

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mikejr

FWB300s Cleaning

Post by mikejr »

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a FWB 300s Universal for some off season practice (and as a way to spend less $$$ on ammo, while still focusing on breathing, sight picture, etc).

The rifle's is pretty good shape, shoots well but has some small rust flecks in some places.

Additionally, I lubed the cocking arm pivot area and the dreaded orange (as in rust) lube started seeping from the bottom.

So, I'm wondering if I can spray the whole action down with gunscrubber (the synthetic safe kind) without damaging anything, and then relube those parts that need it?

Or am I better off attempting to disassemble the action (save the spring assy, and clean it that way?

Or... do I just not worry about it and let it remain the one gun in my collection that hasn't been properly cared for?
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

The best way to get rid of surface rust on the blued metal parts is to rub it down with some 0000 grade or 00 grade if its stubborn wire wool and a little light gun oil.

It won't touch or scratch the bluing but will remove the rust. There will be some pitting in the area you removed the rust and there is nothing you can do about that but it will look a whole lot neater.

Rust inside hinge pins is best removed by just oiling the hinge unless you want to strip the hinge and clean first.

Peeps

rust

Post by Guest »

Some people say that using wire or steel wool to clean out rust has a habit of leaving very fine pieces of steel wool embedded in the steel itself and will rust later on. Try using very fine bronze wool which is rust resistant. Richard
robf

Post by robf »

try a toothbrush with a small amount of oil first...