What's "entry-level" for shooting smallbore?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MSC

What's "entry-level" for shooting smallbore?

Post by MSC »

If soMeone were looking to start shooting pistol competitively, they might grab a Ruger MKII with a red dot, and shoot NRA bullseye.

What's the equvalent for one looking to get into competing with a .22 rifle?

Post by Guest »

Prone smallbore shooters will have a lot of equipment. 3-P shooters have even more. Most beginners will not buy all this before they start; it's very common for shooters to acquire all their equipment over a number oif years, slowly upgrading as they go. I'd recommend contacting a club/match in your area, and going along to see what is used. You may be able to borrow gear and have a go.

the main items for prone shooting are:
1) Rifle, a heavy barrel single-shot bolt action. Weighs 10-15lb. The stock is big, heavy, and sculpted for a good hold, the butt and cheekpiece will be adjustable to refine the fit. Aperture sights are primarily used, but I understand telescopic sights are used much more in the US. Aperture sights have interchangeable apertures so the shooter can adjust the sight picture.

2) Sling, a plastic or leather belt that loops around the left upper arm, passes inside the left wrist and attaches to the rifle. The length of the sling can be adjusted so that it fully supports the weight of the rifle without muscular effort from the shooter.

3) Jacket: a heavy canvas, or canvas-lined leather jacket with non slip rubber elbow pads. This transfers the weight of the rifle from the sling arm, across the back. It's padded at the elbows for comfort.

4) Glove, a padded glove often covered in stiff or non-slip plastic. This is worn only on the left hand to cushion if from the sling.

5) telescope. a powerful spotting scope (usual minimum is 20x mag, with a 60mm from lens). Most prone shooters choose an angled eyepiece. The scope is mounted on a sturdy stand close to the shooters head.

6)Mat. a padded ground mat with a non-slip rubber elbow section.

Most shooters will have a lot more; cleaning kit, spare sights, special glasses etc.

Tim S

Exeter UK
TWP

Post by TWP »

If you are in the US,

CMP has some 3P rimfire sporter matches.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions.htm#C ... t%20Events

I believe they still have a championship match at Camp Perry for it as well.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

The 1st response laid out the types of gear you'll need. If you're looking for an "entry level" rifle (analogous to the Ruger MKII for bullseye) you've got limited choices before you start running in to some real $.

What follows is based on the assumption that you're looking for a true entry-level "let's see if I like the sport" rifle.

If I was an adult looking for an entry-level rifle, CDNN Investments had some used East block rifles (CM2?) for about $300 including sights. Used US-made rifles (Remington 40X, Winchester 52) seem to be getting prices based on collector value rather than shooter value.

If it's for a child (or small person) the Savage Mark I is a decent starting point at around $200. You can get a used Mossberg M44 from the CMP for $175, which is a little bigger than the Savage.

I haven't been in the market for a rifle for a long time. Is there anything decent (adult-sized with decent sights) out there in the sub-$500 range?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

For me entry level was second hand. There's a fair few old but still good target rifles knocking about in shops and online. I would always suggest that's the best starting point, with the exception perhaps of smaller junior shooters for whome the guns may be too big and heavy.

Rob.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

CMP has some Kimber rifles that are very good entry level for smallbore shooting.
Remington 540 is also a good choice if you could find one.

I shoot in a local league and my advice is usually buy a good fitting coat, sling and mitt before the rifle.
there are ususally ton's of people that will lend there rifle and it won't take long to find the one you like best.
You will most likely find a seller during your borrowing time too.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

There are a handful of Marlins out there that are decent shooters as well with an adjustable cheek piece and butt plate.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the responses!
Ptarmigan

CM-2

Post by Ptarmigan »

I picked up an Ishmash CM-2 as a starter rifle for shooting small bore. I'm pretty pleased with it's accuracy so far (it shoots alot straighter than I'm capable of). The only disadvantages so far is that those pesky russians are not in tune with the standards of the rest of the target shooting world. So I had to re-tap the rear sight to put on an adjustable iris. I'm also sending the stock out to get an anschutz rail installed, so I can use aftermarket accessories without having them custom made for the ishmash rail.

The price for the ishmash is $600 from MTGuns. plus transfer fees.

Ptarmigan