Bad Experience on Buy, Sell, Trade

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mcbrien

Bad Experience on Buy, Sell, Trade

Post by mcbrien »

If I feel that a seller, who regularly posts things for sale here, was unethical in his dealings with me, can I warn others? There seems to be no way to leave feedback.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Please do
Richard H

Re: Bad Experience on Buy, Sell, Trade

Post by Richard H »

mcbrien wrote:If I feel that a seller, who regularly posts things for sale here, was unethical in his dealings with me, can I warn others? There seems to be no way to leave feedback.
Just remember there are two sides to every story.

Have you attempted to work it out with the seller? If you paid by Paypal you can take it up with them.

I think its a bad idea to allow this stuff here, at a minimum it should be taken up on the BST forum. This stuff has a tendency to get ugly very quick.
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

That's what I'm asking, if there is anything I can do. The BST forum is for that purpose. As I understand it, if I'm not buying, selling or trading, I shouldn't be posting there. I'm not out that much, $30 shipping, but the guy is dishonest. Of course, he denies it.
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

An FWB65 was advertised "This one seems fine mechanically, shoots very well, but has a few cosmetic issues." I bought it. When I received it my arthritis was especially bad and I was having trouble cocking it, so I contacted the next person in line to buy it and he agreed to pay what I paid plus shipping, and we would split the shipping to him. After we had made this deal I realized the gun wasn't locking up for recoilless operation, and so had variable recoil depending on where the receiver was floating when it was fired. I told Tom (maudy38@hotmail.com) that the gun wasn't working properly, that I couldn't in good conscience sell it to him that way, and that Greg (BrayHaven@aol.com) said to return it and he would repair it and refund my money and then sell it to Tom, which I guess happened. Greg did refund my purchase price, but I was out the $30 shipping. When I questioned this because the gun was not as advertised he denied there was anything wrong with the gun when he shipped it and when he got it back from me, even though he described how some spacers were installed in the wrong order which was causing the problem, and accused me of making up the problem in order to get my money back. Crazy. I pointed out to him that I already had the gun sold, recovering my purchase price plus shipping, and so had no reason to do what he was accusing me of. Essentially he said I was lying (but why, what reason would I have), and by this time I figured he was just dishonest and there was no discussion possible.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

In my view you buy 'as is' when buying second hand. I think the original seller was generous to offer to give you your money back but since you chose to send it back I think you should also wear the cost of the original shipping. BUT that is just my personal opinion. Does this make the person 'dishonest' - No - again in my opinion.

This is obviously not going to be the same as your opinion and others will have different opinions.

The morale of the post - this is not a place to post opinions of other people. If a law was broken - maybe we need to hear about it!

Cheers

David
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

Come on, David. "As is" is as it's advertised "seems fine mechanically, shoots very well". The guy was lying. I had nothing to gain by sending it back, I lost money by not also being dishonest and selling it to the next guy "as is", even though I knew it wasn't right. Where would I post a warning about a person who lies about what he is selling? That was my original question.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Hate to say it , it's your word against his. If he sold it "as is" it means you get it as is, working or broken. He took the pistol back and gave you your money back less shipping, hardly a dishonest deal, if he really was out to stiff you he would have told you to pound salt and not given you anything back.

What if he comes on here and says you took it apart and put it back together wrong?

I suggest you take this as a learning experience.

I agree with David it's more of a deal gone sour rather than being dishonest. You bought a pistol used "as is" "seems fine" to me isn't a shining endorsement either. You got it, you say there was something wrong with it, he agrees to take it back, gives you your money back, he gets it finds nothing wrong and won't refund your shipping.
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

You guys must not be able to read, or comprehend what you read. The only reason I sent it back was because I was unwilling to lie to the guy, Tom, who was buying it from me. You are right that it's his word against mine. He lies.
By your reasoning anyone who buys anything used that is not as advertised has not been cheated, but gets what he deserves. "Seems fine mechanically, shoots very well" is not even close to "action does not lock up for recoilless operation." The guy claims to be a gunsmith. If so, it was a deliberate lie. Learning experience? I learned long ago that some people are dishonest, but fortunately the majority are not.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

mcbrien wrote:You guys must not be able to read, or comprehend what you read. The only reason I sent it back was because I was unwilling to lie to the guy, Tom, who was buying it from me. You are right that it's his word against mine. He lies.
And I have little doubt that he will say that he doesn't.

Anyway, you've made your point.
dblinden

Post by dblinden »

You may not be happy with this response either. Since you reside in TN, why not just tell Scott Pilkington what you are looking for in the future. The price will be more than fair, there will be no problems with the transaction, and they will service your purchase if there are any mechanical problems.

Dennis Lindenbaum
zollman

Post by zollman »

Perhaps Brayhaven will respond. He does sell on a quasi-regular basis here on TT.

zollman
Herr Mitzweifel

Post by Herr Mitzweifel »

"I was having trouble cocking it, so I contacted the next person in line to buy it and he agreed to pay what I paid plus shipping, and we would split the shipping to him. After we had made this deal I realized the gun wasn't locking up for recoilless operation, and so had variable recoil depending on where the receiver was floating when it was fired."

Vieleicht operator error? If one doesn't allow the sled to move forward after fully cocking the arm, it will operate as described. Or, a simple adjustment of the rear sled screw required.

bis spater,

Mitzweifel
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

No operator error. Read my post. If he responds he will say what I said he says, and that I'm crazy. Who cares. He doesn't tell the truth.

No more from me on this subject. People can believe me or not.