Velocity on FWB 65

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

gary5590

Velocity on FWB 65

Post by gary5590 »

I recently purchased a used FWB 65. Everything seems fine, except when I chronograph a 9.5 gr diablo type pellet I'm getting 220 fps. What should I be expecting? I love the gun, it just seems sooo slow! Thanks in advance for your reply.
toznerd

Post by toznerd »

With new seals, spring, and no major wear or scoring to the cylinder ring and cylinder, you should get mid 400fps to low 500fps, depending on pellet (weight and diameter). I have rebuilt (springs and seal only- stock rings)both of my FWB spring guns and they both shoot 475 to 485 fps. Plenty of speed, and both factory accurate. 220 is slow, even with such a heavy pellet. 9.5 gr pellets should still get you well into the 400fps range. I would re-seal and re-spring that jewel. Parts should cost about $45. The only challenging part is replacing the piston buffer. Also, be mindful to use a non-petroleum lube in and around the compression chamber, or you will get dieselling and possibly scorch your cylinder.

Good luck,

toznerd
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Toznerd has given you some good info on the 65.
One extra bit on the lube. Use a very low viscosity synthetic oil and vary little in the compression chamber. A good product is the Beeman Ultra lube which is designed for compression chambers of spring/piston target weapons.

Check the breech seal for leaks and damage and check that the springs are not broken. Very early 65's had one spring but later ones had 2 with an outer one and inner one, and then FWB went back to the single spring at the end. Only a very thin smear of low viscosity synthetic grease should be applied to the springs both inside and outside the coils and on the end coils.
The 65 runs almost dry and over lubing with the wrong lubes will slow it down.
gary5590

Post by gary5590 »

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm going to try tackling a new spring and seals. It's a Mark II with the full barrel weight - a very nice looking piece!
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Thanks moderator for correcting my mistake on the 65 springs, i got mixed up with the rifle springs as you so rightly noticed.

Over the years i have noticed that these springs do break especially when they get old and the pistol is fired to many times with out a pellet.

Peeps