Storage & Care of Rear Sight Iris

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Post by Guest »

When not in use between practice sessions, what is good practice for storage and care of an iris? Do you leave it mounted to the sight in the rifle case? Do you store it separately? Any suggestions or what does your experience make you do?

10MARD
10MARD

Post by 10MARD »

This is my post - forgot to log on

thanks

10MARD
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

So long as your cut out for the sights with the iris is of the right size in whatever case you use for them, I don't see much difference storing it on or off the sights. I personally store mine off but that's because my pelican box isn't quite the right size for it to stay on.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

My iris is left on my sight.
The sight is removed from the rifle after each shooting session, to prevent damage to the sight while transported in the case.
BJ

Post by BJ »

I take my sights off of my rifle and leave the iris on the sight. I actually bought a little pelican case that is roughly 8 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 2.5 inches deep to store my sights in. There is room enough for both my smallbore and air rifle sights. Its very convenient and it gives me peace of mind that my sights are safe. The case is a Pelican 1060 Micro Series and only cost something like $15.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

For just normal travel to and from the range I usually just leave the sight on. With the foam cut out well for the gun (with sights attatched on) and proper/carefull transportation I believe it is relatively safe. For long trips and or air travel though I take the sights off and remove the aperature as well. I just cut out extra spots in my gun case for both of these. I also have the smaller pelican cases that work well for the iris particularily.
10MARD

Post by 10MARD »

Thanks for the useful tips, some good practical advice.
robf

Post by robf »

I leave mine on.

I have some thin neoprene which I wrap around the sights for added protection in transit, and a little plastic bag which I pop over them to keep the dust out.
Guest_x

Post by Guest_x »

When transporting the rifle in a case, I take the rear sight off, put it in a little plastic bag, and store it in my soft shooting glove :)
I also use compressed air (canned) to det rid of dust etc in the iris, when needed. (The compressed air is also great for clening out the ejector slots in a SB rifles.)