Vintage JROTC Match Rifle question (smallbore)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ntmid8r

Vintage JROTC Match Rifle question (smallbore)

Post by Ntmid8r »

Back in the early 80's I was a member of our Army JROTC Rifle Team. I'm trying to remember the model of smallbore rifles we used. I do remember a Winchester Bolt-Action that accepted the under-stock palm rest and the changeable butt plate. I also remember it having a tubular front site that had interchangeable slide inserts. Also a Remington with similar accessories but it seems like the remington was a step lower in quality and would accept a small 6?-Round clip. Both had a disk military peep site on the rear. For some reason I want to say I remember my 1st Sgt stating a price of around $2500 at that time??? (May be way off base there...)
Do these possibly ring a bell with anyone? Thanks in advance.
TWP

Post by TWP »

The Winchester was probably a model 52, they were a very popular target rifle up through the 70's and even into the 80's.

$2,500 sounds pretty steep for a price back then.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

I'd guess the Remington was a 513-T. It was widely used as a JROTC rifle. It was my first rifle when I was a tot, and I still enjoy shooting it.

I'd agree that the Winchester would have been a 52.
CraigE

I can assure you that .....

Post by CraigE »

the 513T did not cost near that much. It was my first rifle and introduction to target shooting...circa 1960. I used it as a member of my high school rifle team. The others on the line were typically Winchester 52's and a few Anshcutz as well. My parents were not all that affluent and I believe parted with around $80-$100 if I recall. My first coach was a fine man (long gone) by the name of Bob Weideman in Norristown PA. He was a retired police officer and strong advocate of proper training for young shooters. Guess it worked out ok. I still enjoy the sport. The 513T exchanged for a Diana 75T -01 in the 80's. Evolution I guess. $.02 or nostalgia. Thanks!

CraigE
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

At Penn State we used a mix of Winchester 52s, and Remington 40Xs. Ammo was Winchester T22 in the military packaging.
aross007

Post by aross007 »

Agree that the rifles would have been Winchester 52's, and Remington either 512/513 or 40X. Suggest that the price has one too many zero's - I paid about $250 for my first Anshutz in 1968. I still have it, and can win the local club .22 bench matchs with it, if I do my part.

Alan
aross007

Post by aross007 »

Agree that the rifles would have been Winchester 52's, and Remington either 512/513 or 40X. Suggest that the price has one too many zero's - I paid about $250 for my first Anshutz in 1968. I still have it, and can win the local club .22 bench matchs with it, if I do my part.

Alan
Ntmid8r

Special Thanks to all!

Post by Ntmid8r »

You were absolutely heads on with the two models. Once I saw the images, I knew for a fact that these were the exact models. Thanks!