Shooting from a high position or low position?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Shooting from a high position or low position?

Post by Guest »

Hi all,

I have been shooting smallbore for a couple of months, and have been experiencing some issues with my positioning. It is mainly regarding shooting from a high or low position.

I find shooting from a higher position is more unstable however there is no need to play around with the 30 degree rule.
Shooting from a lower position feels more comfortable and gives me smaller groups but will the 30 degree rule become a problem later on?
As I am still working on position and can change things now, which would would be the better position to work towards.

Cheers,
Steven
jholtman

Post by jholtman »

Use the lower position. You said yourself that it gave more comfort and better groups. Work on your set-up to get you as close to the 30 degrees as possible with out creeping below it. Generally, in any type of competition from shooting to auto racing, you need to work every rule that benefits you to the limit.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

The popular trend with international coaches is a high position for a few reasons:

First and foremost is recoil control. Previous position theory revolved around maximizing your base of support. But with modern equipment, many are realizing that one can sacrifice some of that base of support in order to get more body behind the rifle for better recoil control. Note I didn't say that this will create a less steady position. I made the change to a higher position and immediately picked up right where I left off.

The second benefit is that you aren't risking a match official bothering you while you shoot to measure your arm angle. I don't see this too much, but it would certainly annoy me.

The last benefit is an easier time reaching the chamber to load. I've shot the 31 degree for most of my life, but I changed in November. I'm 6'2" and had trouble loading until I made this change.

In terms of comfort, my neck would hurt some with the low position, and my upper back gets a little tweak in it with the higher position. The more you practice though, the less this will be the case. You can also minimize your discomfort by working out some, namely your back.