Corrective shooting glasses lens selection

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

old3position

Corrective shooting glasses lens selection

Post by old3position »

I remember a few years back seeing a website for a place where you could "rent" a set of different corrective lenses to try out to determine what strength etc would work best for your eyes. You then sent the set back and used the info it provided to get the lenes made.

Does anyone know if this place is still around/website/address whatever

Thanks
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I'd get my eyes examined by a licensed eye doctor first (I just did). I also had them put in a new lens on a pair of Jaggi shooting glasses. The lens was produced and installed in the frames for about $50. Seems easier to see the eye doctor and get a lens made correctly for that amount of money.

So yes, planning on seeing how well my medications are working and getting back into smallbore competition!
Paul

Post by Paul »

You can rent a Knobloch kit from DAK Sport, in Canada:

http://www.canada-shops.com/Stores/siar ... 618.2.html

Hope it helps,

Paul
enricovolante

Post by enricovolante »

I don't think is feasible, the best would be to have your eyes examined. You can't imagine how much a small correction affects the sight picture, especially at 50 mt.
As a cheap experiment I suggest you to wear contact lenses, at least to try the feeling. Problem with contact lenses is that they move in the eye (changing the fine focus) and they dry the eye.
Anyway I definitely suggest you to invest as much as possible in a good shooting frame such as Champion. The problem with the "cheap” ones (relatively cheap) is that the mechanical parts after a normal usage (such as setting the lens for all three position) get a play. Sometime if I hit the sight by the lens usually gets offset.

Greatings from Switzerland
old3position

Post by old3position »

Thanks for the replies

1) The reason that I wanted to try the "do it at home" method is that the thing I saw was set up for shooters so you could take it out to the range and actually figure out what gave you the best sight picture, ie the best comprimise between clear target and clear sights. It's a little tough to do this at the eye doctor. I'll keep looking.

2) enricovolante. Where do you live in CH? I spent about 20 summers around Arolla (in VS) climbing.
enricovolante

Post by enricovolante »

The best is to contact an eye doctor that is in the target shooting business.
Anyway, when I started shooting I did not have enough money to invest in all the equipment therefore I used my regular glasses.
In order to have the lens focus centered to the iris aperture, I "hanged up" the glasses to the head band by a simple paper clip.
I kept going this way for more than 6 month and it worked fine for me.

I live in Lugano in the region of Ticino (south of CH)
Aussie Shooter

Post by Aussie Shooter »

Local law permitting don't forget to take your pistols and try out the test corrective lenses before you commit to getting a lens(es) ground. See if you can get the lighting in the test centre as close as possible to the intensity on the ranges you usually use. Nice bright doctor's rooms are not the same as the dark, dingy ranges we have here and the darkness will highlight any flaws in the prescription when it is too late.
vagroundhog

Post by vagroundhog »

Contact Dr Allen Toller in Richmond Va. He rents a kit with lenses of different diopter strength and tint so you can determine which works best for you. Phone 804-231-9151