IZH-35 Second Sear Spring

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Lammy1000

IZH-35 Second Sear Spring

Post by Lammy1000 »

Shortly before I moved in 2007 my Baikal's hammer would not stay cocked. Now that I have more time this great hobby has finally came back into my life and I replaced the sear spring. I have very limited testing, but it appears to be back normal operating condition. This little spring is on the upper right side and appears to push the sear forward slightly. I have not heard of any other failures of this part and any comments would be appreciated.
bwave

izh-35m sear spring

Post by bwave »

I have been struggling for some time now with the problem of having my hammer stay in the cocked position. Perhaps your experience will be a solution for me. Here's the symptoms that my gun exihibits:

It first started showing up occasionally during timed and rapid fire shooting. I gave the gun a couple of serious cleanings hoping that was the problem, but no improvement. In fact it got worse. It will chamber a round after firing, but the hammer will not stay in the cocked position and so it will not fire. Is this what you found? Did you find a new spring and if so where did you get it? Were you able to replace it yourself?

I sure hope this is simple. I love this gun and want to get back on the line with it.
Dave
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Check thread on "disabling IZH35 grip safety" and you will find pics that Fred Mannis posted (thanks again) that will show the second sear spring. If yours is not intact, then order from EAA and when installing tie a small thread around spring so that when it escapes your micropliers all will not be lost. This has my gun back to 100%.
bwave

sear spring

Post by bwave »

I just looked at my gun and the spring is intact however it had moved up to the top of the post. Do you think it is possible that the position of the spring would be enough to screw it up. I guess it's a possibility that it is just "tired" too.
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Is one arm under the pin to the right and the other arm up in the sear notch placing tension on the 2nd sear, placing tension in the forward direction? Have you lubed the second sear? You're sear adjustment screw (left side) may be too far inward and sear may not be adequately engaged.
bwave

izh-35m sear spring

Post by bwave »

The spring is on the post and the other end appears to be in the sear notch. After cleaning I just applied oil fairly liberally in the entire general area of the sear. I do not know where the sear adjustment srew is. I see a smaal screw that has been loctited that is about 1/2" in front of the main safety on the left side of the gun. The screw faces the front of the gun. Would that be it?
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Yes, that's the sear adjustment screw. Q-tip up the excess lube and test fire. Typically the sear adjustment screw would would not be "underengaging" sear in factory setting, but then again this is a Russian gun. Are you the original owner and have not tinkered with this gun? Is the gun clean enough to rule out excess friction on bolt from too much residue?
bwave

izh-35m sear spring

Post by bwave »

The gun is clean. I soaked it in WD-40 a couple of times. Once for several hours and the other time over night. I then scubbed all the crud out with gun scrubber. The firing pin is free because when I shake the slide, I can hear it rattle. I am not the original owner and it would not surprise me if it hasn't been tinkered with. I am at least the third owner of this gun. Do you have any idea which direction I should turn the screw?
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

counterclockwise=out. This will increase sear engagement. Hope this works. This is typically a very reliable pistol after kinks are worked out.
bwave

izh-35m sear spring

Post by bwave »

Thanks very much for your help and patience. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm anxious to try it so I'll take it to the range tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Dave
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

Good luck. At the very worst it could need a new part (2nd sear., spring...) that should be available from EAA. Please keep us informed.
bwave

izh-35m sear spring

Post by bwave »

lammy,
I just can't thank you enough for your advice on how to adjust the second sear. I turned the screw a meager 1/4 turn and thought I would try a few rounds. A few rounds turned into over a 100 rounds without a single failure to cock the hammer. I used two different kinds of ammo Aguila and CCI without a single problem. Had I not run into you on this page, I would still be stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out what to do. I love shooting this gun and I was afraid it was ready for the parts bin.
Once again thanks very much for the advice. Having taken this gun apart several times has given me alot of experience. There was a time when I wasn't certain that it would even be a good idea for me to tear into it. Now I think I could do it with my eyes closed.
Regards,
Dave
Lammy1000

Post by Lammy1000 »

I really love to hear good news. Congratulations on your "new" Baikal.