Anschutz select barrel?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pjones

Anschutz select barrel?

Post by pjones »

Good day all,

I have read through a few prior posts which had mentioned "Anschutz select barrels".

Would someone be kind enough to elaborate on what criteria is used to label the barrel "select"? I'm looking for a possible replacement barrel for my 2013 series rifle.

Is this just a replacement barrel?

Are select barrels available both in the shorter and long lengths?

What are these types of barrels made from or are they different from what is delivered/supplied with Anschutz barreled actions and full rifles?

Who sells these select barrels (in the United States)?

Is there a special ordering process to obtain one?

How much can one expect to pay for one of these barrels?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

Peter
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

If you are looking for a replacement barrel, don't waste your time w/ an Anschutz barrel. Go to a US barrel maker such as Lilja, Schneider, etc. and get a match grade stainless barrel.

Less expensive, faster and will last longer.
bruce

selection process

Post by bruce »

As far as I'm aware the process goes something like this.
All completed actions/barrels are test fired at the factory. and when they produce groups below a certain standard, they are put aside for further testing, if they continue to produce similar groups using a range of velocities and manufacturers, then they qualify as "selected"
Some are kept at the factory for the customers who are willing to travel there to carry out their own test firing and farther selection. Some are passed to the dealers.
Mine was purchased from Bedford Target Supplies in England in 2006.
.BGC

Post by .BGC »

Hi Peter

You can't buy just a selcted barrel from the Anschütz factory, it is only available as a complete action. The specific harmonics of a selected action some from a combination between

a) a good barrel
b) a good reciever-fitting

They simply have to get "married".

I would either buy a Lilja drop in barrel (and hope that it makes a nice combo with your reciever). That´s the tricky part with drop in barrels - you realy don´t know how it works until after your purchse. But usually, it works just fine.

Or you could go to the Anschütz factory in Germany to find a new action. I went to the factory since I live in Europe, and got me a good 2013 action with 690 mm barrel that worked great with both Lapua (Midas+Polar Biathlon), RWS (R50+R100) and Eley Tenex.
As Bruce said - that´s what you should be looking for, an action that produces nice looking groups without flyers. My test groups were not that tiny, but all brands of ammo produced nice group shapes.
After that, it was pretty easy to find good selected ammo.

/BGC