how to improve accuracy of air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

himasnhu

how to improve accuracy of air rifle

Post by himasnhu »

how to improve accuracy of anschutz 2002 alu stock 10m air rifle ....
please also suggest what other items i should buy which will be helpful for me to improve my score (my average score is 570-580)
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I'm not aware of too many add-on kids for air rifles. The strict rules make just about anything you'd do illegal. I'd say your best bet would be a bloop tube to max out your sight radius. You could experiment with riser blocks as well. You can add roughly 30mm of blocks depending on what front sight you have. I have a Centra Duo and maxed out at 28mm, I hear with a standard Anschutz you can get 30mm.

I shoot a 2002 as well and it still out shoots me (560-570) by a lot. Unless there is something wrong with your rifle, I doubt you're losing any points because of the rifle. You might want to think about testing pellets, both weight and diameter. But again, I doubt you'd get more than a point or two out of that.

A good drill to do is cutting out the center of the record bulls of a 12 bull target just inside the 8 ring. You sight in and then shoot at the first bull until you see a shot on the edge of the hole you cut out. Then you move to the next target. This drill has 2 benefits: first, it really makes you focus in on what causes you to shoot 9s. Second, it helps you mentally forget the 10s you shoot.

Good luck.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Is there a reason for trying to get more accuracy out of your Anschutz 2002? With the greatest respect to your shooting skills, i doubt very much that you have reached the stage where its inaccuracy is affecting your scores, unless of course there is a fault with the gun?
If you can bench rest the gun and it gives one whole groups over at least 5 shots then i suggest the best way to improve its accuracy is to look at your shooting skills and methods rather than trying to make an already very accurate gun more accurate.

Peeps
TWP

Post by TWP »

My daughter shoots an Anschutz 2002.

I've done quite a bit of pellet testing with it. With a pellet it likes it will shoot a 10 shot group no bigger than one pellet hole.

So the first thing I would advise is to test various brands, sizes, and lots of pellets to see what your gun likes.

The next best thing you can do to improve your scores is to follow the advice of one of the other coaches on our team and not let stale air develop in your cylinder.

He's not saying to bleed your tank often (like one of our shooters did), what he's saying is you need to shoot often.