The last shots in a match - help needed

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

BGC

The last shots in a match - help needed

Post by BGC »

Hi all

My game is SB prone, shooting at an international level, but not the WC (yet :).

My technique is pretty good, and I am confident in my position.
But in competitions, both big and small, I have a BIG mental problem with my last 5-10 shots. Very often, I come to the situation having 5-7 shots left, and until then I have only lost 2-3 points during the whole match. But the last shots are horrible in execution. I get very stressed, and cannot relax at all. Belive me, I know a lot about breathing, relaxation and so on, and I practice on these things regularly, but it just doesn't work when I need it the most. Pulse, tension, tremor dominates totally, giving me bad 9's and sometimes 8's... I try to rest and cool down, but the problem stays, more or less.

In practice I can score up to 597/598 when I do a good match, but when I have the same result in reach at competition, I freak out.
I try not to think about the score, but frankly, it is really hard not to. The monitor shows it in my face, and my brains knows exactly how I’ve done so far.

So... What to do? Should I change tactics during the last shots? Speed up? Slow down? What should my thoughts be? If anyone has some good advice, PLEASE let me know. My average in competitions is now 592, but without this problem it would have been about 596-597, and it makes me depressed.

Thanks
/ Bo
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

First of all learn to ignore what's already gone on and learn to ignore the score. Easier with events where dropping a lot is the norm than where the vast majority of shots are 10's.

Train yourself to totally fill your mind with the steps to execute a perfect shot, do that for every single shot. Do so in training first and then do your competitions identically. The secret is not to think where you are in a match and to just shoot. Like everything else though it will take time to learn and master it, but persevere.

Rob.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

You need to learn to ignore your overall score. I know it's hard with electronic targets, but your previous 50 shots don't matter anymore.

Next is just finding something to get you to focus on your fundamentals. I like concentrating on my trigger control. I make sure it's really smooth. You will naturally have a good sight picture at your level, and so long as you are relaxed, a good trigger squeeze will create a good shot.

You could also try to find a way to make pressure situations in your practice sessions. If you have someone that can compete with you, have simulated matches between the two of you with lunch that day on the line. If you don't have someone who can shoot at your level, get someone to roll some dice in a finals type event. If you use two dice, pick one number, either 2 or 12, where if that's rolled, your "competitor" shoots a 9. If you can swindle it out of your volunteer, have lunch on the line for this one too.

Lastly, you didn't mention any fatigue, but you could try adding a bit more to your physical training. Even if you aren't physically tired, physical training helps with your mental stamina as well. You can add another set to each of your exercises, find 2-3 more exercises to do, or increase your cardio training duration by 15-30min.

Hope this helps, and hope to see you in the WCs soon. Good luck.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Rob is right, whats gone is gone, you have no more control over that, but your next shot should be the most important shot of the match and this you have total control over.
Or in other words there is only one important shot in a match and that's the next one you take, once its gone the next one takes over as the most important and this goes on right through to the last shot.
Do not try to look ahead at the next 5 or 6 shots, just the next one.
Peeps
corning

Post by corning »

One shot at a time. Focus, execute, and forget. I have found that if I do not dwell on past shots (good or bad), I can pay attention to the execution of the current shot. I try to ensure that my position is consistent, conditions are stable, and have an "I want a X" attitude. One shot at a time.

I shoot both high power and small bore prone. In high power, I have recently tended not to record my shots. I execute the shot, make sight corrections (if needed) and move on.

I try to keep a positive mental attitude, even when I shoot bad shots. I have too, or the whole match will go into a downward spiral.

I may have repeated some of the same ideas of previous posters, but it doesn't hurt to hear it multiple times.

Good luck.

John
.BGC

Post by .BGC »

Thanks all for the help.
I also spoke to a senior coach today, and he told me two things: "Don't rush it in these situations. Take the time needed to cool down. If your pulse is 140, the brain can't focus as it should, your body and tensions are way over their normal "limit", and bad shots will come for sure. So, if necessary - get up and have a break, until you gain control over the thoughts. Second; when you have gained control, make sure that you focus on making the next shot perfect in execution. And do that until the last shot is fired."

It all makes sense to me.
Once again, thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Albert B

last shot stress...

Post by Albert B »

Maybe this is not aa important, but remember that all the others at the firing line are experiencing the same match-stress.
Although I am not at your level, I have found it helpfull entring and shooting a match not with my mind set on winning, but making it the others as difficult as possible to win. If I succeed in that, I will win the match. Bottem line - I try to enter the match with my mind set as "the underdog".

Albert B
(The Netherlands)
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

We have never met, But please remember that you can only shoot one shot down the barrel and that is the only shot you can control. Learn to shoot one shot matches. Run your mental progran the way it gives you the most control and best results and run it the same way for every shot in the match. Pay particular attention to your NPA [ Zero hold } as your body tires toward the end of the match and as others have suggested, slow down. Maybe break your position and rebuild it step by step, then complete your last ten or so shots. Good Luck, Good Shooting Bill Horton
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"One Shot Mathces" is of course the 100% right (and only) answer.

However

Train to shoot (for example) 80 shot matches. Always shoot training matches with 80 shots. Show up at the match with 80 shots, and shoot the 80 shot match.

Oh, when the monitor says STOP, then stop!

(or when you run out of targets, STOP!)
.BGC

Post by .BGC »

Thanks! I will practice on the One Shot Match from now on. I will focus on making every single shot into a mini-match, where the goal is total pefection in execution, a perfect 10,9, and forget the past and furure.