BSA International

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BSA International

Post by Guest »

The price of BSA Internationals seems to be going ever upwards. Why? Is it their 'collectability' or are they still seriously desirable as a target rifle?
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Hi guest
I'm not sure about the BSA prices but i heard that production was transferred to India, whether this is still the case I'm not sure.

The famous 'Martini' [under lever] action said by some as easier to use than a bolt action has a big fan base.

The Mk 111 with the tapered bull barrel was one of the best prone rifles ever made and in the right hands will give any of the German makes a run for their money.

A very collectable rifle that still performs at high level.

Peeps
mmp

BSA International

Post by mmp »

I was fortunate enough to witness a UK shooter finish in the top three at the Earl Roberts Trophy at the Bisley Meeting a few years back using an International.

In South Africa our School cadet corps started using BSA 10/15 rifles in 1912. The action is for all practical purposes the same as the International.

Thousands of these rifles including the 12/15 were imported into this country and were replaced by 1416 Anschutz rifles in 1982.

Unfortunately all smallbore rifles used by the cadet corps have been destroyed, The schools here now use air rifles and shoot the CMP program.

I would like to know more about production in India?
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Not sure about the Indian connection, perhaps the NET will reveal some thing.
There was a period years ago when shooters were re barreling their Anschutz with BSA barrels, they were that good.

My favourite model is the Mk V ISU. The Martini action was called a 'falling block' action and many considered it easier to use in the prone position than a bolt action. The BSA International was never any good as a 3-P rifle, but prone it was superb.

I suggest you search the WEB for all the info.

Peeps

Post by Guest »

Production of the BSA Internations ceased in about 1987. I suspect that stories of a move to India have confused BSA guns with BSA motorbikes, or Webley Revolvers.

The BSA Internationals were fine prone guns, with excellent barrels, but with what are now very old fashioned stocks. If the stock fits a shooter, they can do very very well. John Pugsley has won the British short range and long range aggregates, and reached the final of the Roberts with his Mk 111. However if the stock doesn't fit, you can't break out the allen keys and adjust the butt or cheek, as you can with an Anschutz; BSAs require planes, rasps, chisels, or epoxy.

Spare parts and accesories will be scarce.

I think the rise in prices is due to the inflation or the effect of exchange rates on the cost of new european target rifles.

Tim S

Exeter UK
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

The action is for all practical purposes the same as the International.
Not quite, that's a bit like saying all bolt actions are substantially the same. In fact the action on the International had quite a few significant differences from the basic Martini action. The method of sear release was different, utilising a rotating pawl and the extractor was powered. The major drawback was that the Martini had effectively reached the end of the design road. The newer bolt actions were achieving faster lock times that would have been extremely difficult to achieve with the Martini action. In addition, the trigger unit was integral with the action and much less flexible than than the modern separate units that were appearing in the early 80s.

The barrels however are another matter. I did see an Anschutz action that had been fitted with a brand new Mk111 barrel and it shot extremely well. The owner had located a cache of about 15, he kept one and the remainder went to one of the French national coaches. I wonder what has become of them?

As an aside, the Mk111s sometimes failed to live up to peoples expectations. It was eventually found that the steel extension piece that carried the forend furniture could act like half a tuning fork, the other "prong" being the barrel. Under certain circumstances and with varying sling tensions this could set up vibrations that adversely affected accuracy. This was rectified with the "V" block in the MKIV.

Rutty
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Thanks guest
That's cleared that up. I know the Royal Enfield motorcycles are now produced in India and you are probably right about the other BSA products you mention.
Its a pity that BSA did not move with the times and use a more up to date stock. I know a few people that had custom made stocks made for them which were similar to an Anschutz.

Peeps
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Here is a site with much more information about the BSA International:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Martini_ ... k.III.html

Rutty