Running in new rifle barrel

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pissedeaster

Post by pissedeaster »

I have just purchased a new Feinwerkbau 2700 and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on running in a new rifle barrel, ive done some searching around the internet and peoples views vary anywhere from 36 shots cleaning in between groups of shots in a sequence and 500 shots.
i was wondering what running in sequences people have used in the past and some opinions of the best way to go.

Thanks - Luke
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

This seems to be a fairly popular topic. For me I have found that the best thing to do is just shoot them quite honestly. A generall rule of thumb is 500 rounds is good. With my feinwerkbau 2700 I started off shooting eley and lapua and right off the bat it was really good actually. For the start I probably shot 50-75 rounds and then cleaned. Now I probably only clean every 200-300.

Overall it is a super nice gun! You will really like yours!
bruce

Re: Running in new rifle barrel

Post by bruce »

pissedeaster wrote:I have just purchased a new Feinwerkbau 2700 and I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on running in a new rifle barrel, ive done some searching around the internet and peoples views vary anywhere from 36 shots cleaning in between groups of shots in a sequence and 500 shots.
i was wondering what running in sequences people have used in the past and some opinions of the best way to go.

Thanks - Luke

I'd clean it, to make sure that there's no oil in the barrel, then do some shooting.
Then clean it when I'm finished for the day.

Post by Guest »

i recently bought an anschutz selected barrel and after cleaning the process was one shot then clean one shot /clean x 10 then fire 5 then clean x10 then i just used it but cleaned the barrel before and after shooting this (for me)worked and i still clean the barrel before and after shooting
1813benny

just shoot it...

Post by 1813benny »

Just go to the range and shoot the rifle. When you are done, clean it thoroughly.

"Running in" or "breaking in" a barrel only applies to highpower.

Talk directly w/ the custom barrel makers and they will say the same thing. Shoot it.
bruce

Re: just shoot it...

Post by bruce »

1813benny wrote:Just go to the range and shoot the rifle. When you are done, clean it thoroughly.

"Running in" or "breaking in" a barrel only applies to highpower.

Talk directly w/ the custom barrel makers and they will say the same thing. Shoot it.

exactly.

And the guest post, with the "selected" Anschutz barrel.
The selection process at the factory, as I recall, involves firing several hundred rounds through it before it is "selected"
pissedeaster

Post by pissedeaster »

Thanks for the input, ill put some shots through it and see how it goes.