SK Standard Plus = Wolf Match Target?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IPshooter

SK Standard Plus = Wolf Match Target?

Post by IPshooter »

I read a post that says these two brands of ammo are equivalent. But, Keith's testing showed some velocity differences.

Is Wolf Match Target the closest match to SK Standard Plus?

TIA

Stan
TWP

Post by TWP »

My understanding is they are the same thing, same production line, different boxes.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

That was likely my post that you saw as I mentioned they were probably the same several days ago. From what I understand, SK standard plus, wolf MT and possibly Lapua SC are all the same. Produced in the factory, but different boxes as TWP mentioned. The headstamp on the ammunition is identical and they appear to be the exact same. It is normal that velocities will vary a bit with the different lot numbers so that would explain why you would get slightly different velocities between the two.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

TWP wrote:My understanding is they are the same thing, same production line, different boxes.
I agree. Just lot to lot variation.
For about the same price, the RWS Target ammo is really consistent from lot to lot.
Wolf was 135 a case a few short years ago. I can't believe that it was that cheap. I did snag a bunch of RWS at 289 last year.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Jordan F. wrote:That was likely my post that you saw as I mentioned they were probably the same several days ago. From what I understand, SK standard plus, wolf MT and possibly Lapua SC are all the same. Produced in the factory, but different boxes as TWP mentioned. The headstamp on the ammunition is identical and they appear to be the exact same. It is normal that velocities will vary a bit with the different lot numbers so that would explain why you would get slightly different velocities between the two.
Jordan,

Can you tell me what Lapua "SC" is? Thanks.

And, my thanks to all for the replies.

Stan
TB

Post by TB »

IPshooter wrote:
Jordan F. wrote:That was likely my post that you saw as I mentioned they were probably the same several days ago. From what I understand, SK standard plus, wolf MT and possibly Lapua SC are all the same. Produced in the factory, but different boxes as TWP mentioned. The headstamp on the ammunition is identical and they appear to be the exact same. It is normal that velocities will vary a bit with the different lot numbers so that would explain why you would get slightly different velocities between the two.
Jordan,

Can you tell me what Lapua "SC" is? Thanks.

And, my thanks to all for the replies.

Stan
I think he means Lapua Super Club. They are not made anymore, replaced by SK Standard Plus. If they are the same I do not know....
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Thanks, TB.
Mike Taylor

name

Post by Mike Taylor »

Lapua SC could also be an abbreviation for Lapua Standard Club.
Jordan will have to clarify whether he meant 'Super Club' or 'Standard Club'. Not only the packaging is different between these two.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I was referring to Lapua Superclub. Mike, do you happen to know what the difference is between the standard club and Superclub ammunition. I understand that the superclub comes in the individual boxes where as the standard club comes in the tin or bulk pack type containers. Always thought this was the only difference but had a hunch they could be different.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

standard club does come in bulk tin and when you add up the frice difference its not really that much
Mike Taylor

Super vs Standard

Post by Mike Taylor »

Jordan,
Realizing I had only anecdotal information ("Super Club is harder/hotter than Standard Club"), I went to the Lapua web-site to get the straight skinny:
http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs/Ri ... nition.pdf
Well, as you can see there, the velocity characteristics are identical (Super vs Standard)!
I think I remember borrowing a few rounds of Super Club from a friend and comparing them (fired from the same gun) against the Standard Club that I had. My recollection is that the Super Club was 'hotter' (harder recoil) than the Standard Club and that the Standard Club had a more greasy (oily) feel than Super Club. That was some two years ago and these days I can barely remember what I had for lunch, so my recollection might be faulty.
It is possible, of course, for two different brands of ammo to have the same velocity but different recoil 'feel' - due to (among other things) different powders being used. I have no knowledge of the manufacturing differences (if any) between Super and Standard.
So, at this point, I have no hard evidence to back up my recalled perception that Super Club is different from Standard Club.
mea culpa
thbauer

SK ammo comparison

Post by thbauer »

As a follow-on to this thread, have any of you compared SK Standard Plus and Pistol Match? I shoot BE pistol using a Pardini SP at distances 50ft -> 50yd.

Thanx for your responses.

---
Ted
Baltimore, MD