Toz 35 Modifications

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mr_Ree

Re: Toz 35 Modifications

Post by Mr_Ree »

So quickly....Unbelieveable!

Did you use an electric sander of some sort to smooth things?
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

You know, I must confess one thing, I am cheating .... Currently, the grip is already finished, and I posted the pics behind schedule, step by step .
It took me between 10 and 15 afternoons of work , during our containment period.
I estimate the amount of work at around 30 or 40 hours.

For these round angles, I used a little precision wood saw to cut the biggest parts of wood, and finished the angles and the rounded parts with a rasp and sanding paper.
For the base of the grip, I used a belt sander upside down clamped in my vise. Very efficient !

After these steps, the grip was finished at 95% .
I had just to oil the wood, and of course, personalize the grip edges to fit my hand.

And installed on the pistol :

Mr_Ree

Post by Mr_Ree »

Just 40 hours! I remain truly amazed. Kudos to you. I've been trying for more than 4 "years" to build a Roubo workbench. ;-)

When it's oiled and all, I hope you will share at least one more picture. One thing in which I particular interest is how the putty looks after finishing.

I feel I can speak for others, thanks very much for sharing this.
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

Mr_Ree wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:04 pm When it's oiled and all, I hope you will share at least one more picture.
Ditto. That wood looks like it has some good character in it, would love to see how it looks after finish sanding and oil/lacquer.
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Thanks, it's my pleasure to share this adventure with you !

A little break, with the rehabilitation of the genuine screwdriver handle : ugly black plastic, replaced with a walnut handle, cut from a scrap of the block. And the blade and the ferrule are genuine, blue-steel, of course.
It is rather little, but I got surprised when sanding the faces of the handle : the belt sander worked faster than I was expecting ...
The wood was oiled with beeswax. I like this finish : it doesn't shine too much, doesn't darken the wood too much, and I really love the smell !
And it offers a foretaste of the finish of the grip .

And the grip with its beeswax finish :

I think I have again some little mods to do : I would like a little darker finish of the wood, I don't like the shape of the thumb rest .
And above all, I would like to hide the head of the attachment screw inside a milling in the base of the grip. This is the most beautiful part of the grip, with wonderful veins ...

Mr_Ree

Post by Mr_Ree »

Gorgeous! I might suggest Waterlox as a finish. You can make it as shiny or matte as you choose; just matter of fine sanding or buffing at the end. Try it on the tool handles. If you don't like it a little sanding will enable you to go with something else.

I agree that the nut needs to be countersunk (and maybe plugged, but then I don't know if there might be a need to get at it again).

You've sparked a desire to try it myself. Unfortunately, I don't have a huge beautiful chunk of walnut to work with. The raw wood for the grip came in several pieces, so the result will be more like your original grip.

Thanks again for the journey!!!
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

Thanks for all your messages, it's great to share this kind of project.
It would have been a pity to keep it for myself ....

I cut the thumb rest, to align it with the grip lateral face : I prefer this shape.

I have tried a little darker finish : still with beeswax, but once applied, I let the grip in the sunlight : a kind of "sun tanning" before the summer holydays !

I will see after a few weeks, but if I don't find it dark enough, I may try an "antiquaire wax", like this one : https://www.liberon.fr/produit/cire-ant ... ack-bison/

And finally made a hole to hide this f...ing attachment screw !

Almost invisible !

Now, I must absolutely stop modifying the grip.
I really look forward to seeing the opening of our shooting ranges to try it !
AJV

Post by AJV »

Great post.

Thank you for all.
Mr_Ree

Post by Mr_Ree »

I'll second that motion...much improved in all respects. Great job! Thanks again.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

rem.44 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:37 pm Image
can you post a picture of you holding this pistol with the finger on the trigger? the grip angle seems extreme and the distance from the index to the middle finger looks impossible. how are you able to reach the trigger with such an angle?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

My TOZ is sitting in its box awaiting my RINK grips to arrive. Now I have 13 pages of posting for this thread to read through to learn more about it. I know what I will be doing tonight!

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
rem.44

Post by rem.44 »

And a little pic for Azmodan, showing my hand holding the grip, while in position of aiming .
I have no difficulty at all to reach the trigger, and my aiming is correctly aligned when I raise my arm and then lower it to align the sights at the height of the target, even with my eyes closed !

Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

very nice. so because you remove the bottom charging lever, you could make the grip small enough so you can reach the trigger at the extreme rake.
rem.44 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:04 am And a little pic for Azmodan, showing my hand holding the grip, while in position of aiming .
I have no difficulty at all to reach the trigger, and my aiming is correctly aligned when I raise my arm and then lower it to align the sights at the height of the target, even with my eyes closed !
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i finally got my toz...and made o video about it: https://youtu.be/kUZcZngBQqA
Mr_Ree

Post by Mr_Ree »

Thank you for taking the time to make the video.
AJV

Post by AJV »

Azmodan wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:53 pm i finally got my toz...and made o video about it: https://youtu.be/kUZcZngBQqA
Just subscribed your channel. Nice stuff. Thanks.