Prefab air rifle range

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BartP

Prefab air rifle range

Post by BartP »

I am currently in the process of designing a number of prefabricated homes and it occurred to me that my facility could fabricate, very inexpensively, a basic air rifle range. It would be one cube, 40 feet long, with HVAC, insulation/wallboard/paint and have options for target systems. The idea would be to create the ultimate training station. Options might include a graduated/etched mirror, a lockable storage container, and climate control (not only for shooting, but also .22 ammo storage). Lighting, target carriers, electronic systems, and even a noptel system would also be available options.

The cube would be 8 feet wide to accommodate up to 3 shooters and multiple cubes could be placed side-by side to create a larger range facility as demand would dictate. These cubes could be constructed here and delivered anywhere requiring very little on-site utility build-out.

Note. As a businessman, I am very busy. There are times when there are breaks in the action or where I have an idea I want to experiment with. I would build this range with the idea that my office could be part of the buildout making my practice immediate and available.

I can't help but think that this concept might benefit young clubs and individuals who can afford the maximum training environment.

I hope you will all give me feedback on this. I am going to build one for myself this spring, but knowing what the demand might be will dictate my ability to reduce the cost if the units were to go into multiple-unit assembly.

Bart

Post by Guest »

There are currently companies that build pistol ranges using truck trailers. A range nearby had looked into getting one. Apparently they retain the HVAC system and install a berm/backstop, and lighting. The funny thing is that the design is so simple, that they've decided to just get their own used trailer and do it themselves.

I'm not sure of what the demand would be for an airgun-only range, but one that could support small to moderate calibre firearms could be popular among existing facilities that want a prefab indoor range.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Not a bad idea, but as noted, it'll need to do more than air gun.

Air ranges are already incredibly simple to set up as it is.
A room - any room, will do. Hang a sheet across the back wall to absorb the impact of any misses (unless you don't mind pellet marks on the wall), a few mobile pellet catchers/target holder and some masking tape to mark the firing line.
- Sheet
- Pellet catchers
- Tape

If you want to go all out, you could form the firing line from tables, giving shooters somewhere to put their guns and ammo. You can do it in any church hall, community centre, sports hall, decent sized classroom, or even your own home. There'd be no reason to spend a lot of money on a pre-fab facility.

If it could be made substantial enough for small to moderate calibres, that would give it more of a USP, as those calibres need a proper backstop, etc and can't really be shot on improvised ranges as easily as air.
BartP

Air rifle range

Post by BartP »

Aside from shooting at 50 meters, air rifle is the only other Olympic shooting discipline. And the the version I have in mind is far more advanced than you are considering. But thank you. . It would literally match an actual international environment minus the square footage normally allocated. It would also provide an inexpensive, dedicated space for clubs and colleges to use.

I would not really be interested in building a range to house any other calibers unless someone requested one. Adding length and capability is quite easy. But laws governing discharging firearms within city limits or building a range, even though it's indoor, to handle larger calibers would be breaking a few laws. I am simply interested in providing the ultimate training componentry to practice what is becoming the hottest shooting discipline in collegiate and international shooting AND be able to put it in your backyard or add it to a home in a quick, convenient manner AND be able to take it with you should you move to a new location. And due to the fact that air rifle is a low impact discipline, the same space can have more than one purpose. I even have a design for a modern business office that doubles as the range.

I am in the process of building the first one now. And it is going to make practice immediately available. I've ordered the RIKA system for live and dry-fire training. It has two levels: the range is the bottom section and my office is above. And the whole thing plugs into my house breaker board. I have been contacted by a gentleman in Atlanta who has granted me the use of his pellet capture design and I plan to visit his facility on the way the Spring Selection matches at Benning. I've also designed a version that provides a large sliding door that looks out on to land perfect for 50 meter shooting. You would simply open the door and shoot from within the unit. This, of course, would be the ideal, Olympic configuration, and anyone with a home on some open land in the countryside could easily benefit. I grew up on a farm in Maine and this unit would have been awesome.

To competitively shoot air rifle on a national level, you need to practice at least 3-4 times per week. The fine tuning demands it. Most of us work for a living and unless you have a range within a few minutes of your home, it gets hard - especially if you have a wife and kids. Even parents who have to pick their kids up at school must then drive them across town to a range or sacrifice space in their homes. I remember shooting from my bedroom, through a hall, and hitting a pellet trap on the back wall of my sister's room. It was challenging, but not really a functional effective training environment.

I'll post pictures when it is completed. Bp
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Aside from shooting at 50 meters, air rifle is the only other Olympic shooting discipline???

This will come as a shock to the pistol and shotgun shooters.

Spencer
BartP

Obviously

Post by BartP »

I am an air/smallbore RIFLE shooter. And obivously I am discussing THIS topic for RIFLE shooters - since this is the RIFLE forum. Obviously air pistol could be practiced, but Shotgun would obviously NOT be my concern - especially since this is NOT the Olympic SHOTGUN forum. Right?
jsealc21

range

Post by jsealc21 »

BartP , please excuse Spencer's comments...after all ,he is Australian , and they are known for missing the point . If you come from NZ, as I do , then many years of firsthand knowledge give weight to this statement. After all ,they are jealous of our rugby team and our beautiful scenery,to mention a couple of things.I am sure that Spencer is truly contrite for his post ,and surely do a major penance next time he shoots...it's the way of things ,you know. All this is said ,of course, with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek !! LOL ???
TWP

Post by TWP »

Bart,

I don't know of many air rifle clubs with the funds that would be required to purchase your trailer.

Most around here are junior shooting programs that shoot in school classrooms, fair ground buildings, meeting halls, or garages.

All you really need is about 40' of space and some simple back stops. For the last 12 years my club has shot in a 3 bay tractor garage.

I just see a very limited market for your trailers. And with the current economic situation I see even less market for it.

Also I don't see how you get 3 firing points inside a trailer. Firing points are supposed to be 1 meter wide minimum. Your trailer would need to be 9 3/4 feet wide on the inside. I'm pretty sure that would make it a wide load to transport.

Fro the cost you are going to have to charge for your trailers it would be easier for most clubs to build a simple metal building instead.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

I like seeing non firearm manufacturers looking in to our sport.

As stated above, I doubt an eight foot wide unit would be appealing. Old Mobile homes are cheap.

But, double wide (or multiples) units (70' or 80' long) might be a better substitute than building on site.

Having a preinstalled air filtration system would allow the range to install 22 traps. I know this is not what you asked about, but this may be what the consumer wants.