Effect of ISSF rules/rule changes on the grass roots

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Richard H

Post by Richard H »

higginsdj wrote:Maybe for American Football but other football codes like those played in civilized countries (humorous jibe) the rules of the sport are changed to reduce injury and harm to players rather than adding more protective layers to the players.

Re the speedo suits - I don't know if they are banned - they are just no longer used by the Australian team (that was news here)
They probably just have a new suit mfg. instead of Speedo. There's nothing on swim Austrailia either, nor any google search. There has been talk about swimsuits, even a meeting last week with FINA and the swimsuit Mfgs. I can't see them giving up the structured suits, especially if they want to win anything.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

On this inner ten scoring thing, I agree with one who posted earlier that this need not be the way to break ties in a club match. The staff at most club matches is way over-worked anyway and to add this step just compounds the problems.

But, in my opinion, FWIW, if I were running a match and we had decided on tie breaking by inner tens, I would only score inner tens on targets of tied competitors. No sense in scoring every target for inner tens.

You could pretty quickly run through a half dozen sets of targets to find inner tens. Any plugged 10 would not be an inner, so you could skip all those. Only those targets that are clearly a 10 to start with would have to be plugged for inner ten. Seems to me that a good pair of scorers should be able to find and count the inner 10s in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Just one man's opinion. Hang on just a second while I don my flame-proof drawers.

Marc
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

higginsdj wrote:
Are you aware how many times they have changes the rules regarding the clothing in rifle? This is a big problem in the sport, every time they do this they cost competitors lots of money. For one it makes there current equipment basically worthless (like the guys with .22 shorts), and requires them to buy all new gear. This is almost always done to effect the outcomes at the elite level, which it rarely does, but has a large effect on the grass roots. New shooters starting out have no pool of used equipment to buy at reasonable prices, club level shooters think twice about investing in new equipment that will become worthless a faceless organizations whim and may drop out.
No, I'm not aware - but then I can't understand why they allow special clothing for rifle anyway. They don't allow it for pistol so why for rifle - would make the whole sport cheaper....... :) I suggest that it has been the allowance of special clothing that has caused the problem in the first place.

The change to .22short was to get of/reduce the number of 600's that were shot as far as I am aware. You can still shoot 22 short but not in competition. But how often does this type of thing happen? I would suggest that Government's firearms law changes are more problematic in this regard.

Cheers

David
Im with you on the cloths I dont see why they should be aloud to have suportive clothing why not just have a by pod while your going. If the weight is an issue reduce the weight of the rifles.