Diet

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BartP

Diet

Post by BartP »

Hello all,

I am over 40. A former advanced athlete who has some health issues that have to be address every day when I shoot - mostly due to a lack of normal oxygen. From time to time, I know that my "system" is a bit "off" when I see slight tremors in my hands. I know that some of it may be due to the time of day and when I last ate but...

I am wondering if anyone has any data on a diet that would promote oxygen retention, keep a normal person's tremors to minimum, supply the body with enough energy for light exercise, and promote eyesight. Any takers??
B
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Bart,

Did some searching online and only came up with what you probably already know, stock up on the iron and the carbs. Most sites say good sources of iron are livers, oysters, lean red meat, tuna, salmon, dark leafy greens, and fortified cereals. What I see when I look at this list is mixing the tuna and salmon with some rice and go eat some sushi. I'm personally a big an of sushi and can give you a few pointers if you want to start making it at home.

Other than that, it doesn't look like you would need to change too much of your diet. You'd just need to find a list of iron rich meats and veggies. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of choices for you to decide from.

Some of the sites I found also mentioned foods that contain compounds that clock the body's absorption of iron. You might want to research that further as well.

Good luck.

Bill
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Low blood sugar levels can cause tremors, but eating a candy bar is not a good idea as it can cause a peak and then a low in sugar levels.

A complex carbohydrate such as an oat based cookie/biscuit low in added sugars will keep you on an even keel for longer periods.

Sorry shooters but on a lighter note, keep away from foods that produce gas.

Peeps

Post by Guest »

Unless you are frankly anemic (i.e., you have too few red cells or they are deficient in hemoglobin) there realistically is nothing you can do about the oxygen carrying capacity of your blood. Beware of iron suppliments, as excessive iron can be toxic. If the lack of oxygen is related to pulmonary function, you might be able to address those issues with your physician or a good trainer. Improving your overall physical health can help your muscles use oxygen more efficiently and promote blood flow through the tissues, which will carry away waste products (CO2, lactate) that can cause tremors.
BartP

Thanks

Post by BartP »

Your answers are what I expected. Slow burning carbs and vegetables. Thanks.

As far as the oxygen thing goes, I have pulmonary hypertension. It's extremely high blood pressure in the pulmonary system due to constriction of the smooth muscle lining the blood vessels of the lungs. It's a very unpleasant disease in that the constriction eventually causes the blood vessels to thicken (on their interiors) and eventually loose their ability to get oxygen and finally loosing their ability to transport anything. I get out of breath the most when I have to put on my jacket and pants!!

I keep oxygen very close to me on the range and it does help to steady things up between target changes (the 100 yd targets are the WORST!). I am learning to shoot VERY quickly. The 2-3 second rule is full effect as my vision is affected rather acutely and my pulse starts to rise once any hypoxic state is reached.

So naturally, I am looking for foods that help the body collect and retain oxygen, give long-lasting energy, and assist in vision maintenance. With that said, I can see the benefits of this diet for EVERY shooter.

I hope to hear more from anyone who may have experimented with any of this stuff.

Thanks, Bart
RobStubbs

Re: Thanks

Post by RobStubbs »

BartP wrote: <snip>
So naturally, I am looking for foods that help the body collect and retain oxygen, give long-lasting energy, and assist in vision maintenance. With that said, I can see the benefits of this diet for EVERY shooter.

I hope to hear more from anyone who may have experimented with any of this stuff.

Thanks, Bart
I really don't think there is any food that will do what you say. Best bet would be to discuss your thoughts with your doctor and speak to a dietician / sports nutritionalist. I also tend to agree with 'Guest' in thinking the secret of your success lies in maximising your cardiovascular strength. Again though your condition doesn't help that and you'd need to discuss that fully with your medical advisors before looking at specific exercise regimens that may help your shooting. There may also be medical (drug) methods of opening up your airways but I'm sure you're on the best medication already.

Rob.
BartP

Cardiovascular Fitness

Post by BartP »

Unfortunately, the disease is usually fatal within a few years and ANY cardiovascular activity stresses the system is prohibited as it tends to put a harsh back-pressure (called a shunt) on the heart eventually leading to heart failure. And yes, I am on many medications and 24 hr oxygen (except when i shoot). Just trying to find any and every advantage these days.

I appreciate the input. BP
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

Sorry shooters but on a lighter note, keep away from foods that produce gas.

Peeps[/quote]

No comment necessary - lol
L Moore

Post by L Moore »

Bart
I might get the boot from here for dare saying this but I'm going to ask anyhow..Have you ever considered rimfire benchrest shooting?,,reason I ask is I know folks with breathing problems that wear oxygen while shooting benchrest matches and still seem to have a great time and do very well at it