Issf rules concerning sports tape.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

gomire

Issf rules concerning sports tape.

Post by gomire »

Do issf rules allow for use of sports tape on feet or ankle?
(10m air rifle)
Thank you.
RobStubbs

Re: Issf rules concerning sports tape.

Post by RobStubbs »

gomire wrote:Do issf rules allow for use of sports tape on feet or ankle?
(10m air rifle)
Thank you.
You mean as in strapping ? I 'think' they do and I don't recall seeing anything written that says otherwise, but I don't know the rifle rules quite as well as the pistol ones.

Rob.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Not an ISSF rules expert, but I think rules

7.4.1.1 Anything which may give a shooter an unfair advantage over others...

and

7.4.7.1.2 which prohibits special devices or garments that immobilize or reduce movement of the legs, body or arms

Would prohibit the use of tape to stabilize the ankles, feet or wrists.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

TWP wrote:Not an ISSF rules expert, but I think rules

and

7.4.7.1.2 which prohibits special devices or garments that immobilize or reduce movement of the legs, body or arms

Strapping around the feet will not offer as much immobility as a pair of rifle shooting boots (IMHO). The feet are pretty much 'fixed' in those already. Note also the ISSF rules state legs and not feet.

My advice however would be to ask at equipment control if you're unsure.

Rob.
Quest1

Tape

Post by Quest1 »

The only occasions were I have seen them allow the use of tape for a temporary injury, but you had to have a note from the doctor saying it was a medical necessity.
RobStubbs

Re: Tape

Post by RobStubbs »

Quest1 wrote:The only occasions were I have seen them allow the use of tape for a temporary injury, but you had to have a note from the doctor saying it was a medical necessity.
Since when has equipment control ever looked at peoples feet ? It's normal practice to turn up for checking all geared up. If not people won't be walking about barefooted - not at any comps I've ever been to at least.

Like I said before, if in doubt, ask the RO / equipment control guys.

Rob.
TWP

Post by TWP »

RobStubbs wrote:
TWP wrote:Not an ISSF rules expert, but I think rules

and

Strapping around the feet will not offer as much immobility as a pair of rifle shooting boots (IMHO). The feet are pretty much 'fixed' in those already. Note also the ISSF rules state legs and not feet.

My advice however would be to ask at equipment control if you're unsure.

Rob.
Well I think feet by definition are part of the legs.

But, I think you really need to look at why you are wrapping your ankles in tape and if that reason is within the spirit of the rules.

The only reason I can see to wrap ankles with tape is to give them extra support or immobilization. If it's not related to a medical condition, with a Doctors certification, then I think it would be outside the spirit of the rules.

But I think the rules are sufficiently vague that your advice to ask at equipment control is correct. You very well could get 2 different answers at different matches. Because what's really going to matter is how the officials at the match you are shooting interpret the rules.
Nosy

Post by Nosy »

Doesn't seem like the wrapping issue is limited to ankles. Why not wrap knees, elbows, hips, shoulders, etc? And what would you wrap with? Carefully selected wrapping materials could offer significantly more stability than an Ace bandage.

Guessing here, but I think it would be appropriate to treat any wrap as "clothing" and apply the normal rules regarding thickness, stiffness, etc. in conjunction with any other clothing worn.
Sum Buddy

Post by Sum Buddy »

I posed this question to a range official at the OTC in Colorado Springs last week. His response was that there had better be a good medical reason for the bandage, and the shooter had better be able to prove it.
Hemmers

Re: Tape

Post by Hemmers »

RobStubbs wrote:
Quest1 wrote: It's normal practice to turn up for checking all geared up. If not people won't be walking about barefooted - not at any comps I've ever been to at least.

Like I said before, if in doubt, ask the RO / equipment control guys.

Rob.
Not exactly. Whenever I do equipment control (Isle of Man, NSRA ISSF, etc) the staff always check my boots:
- stiffness of the soles
- thickness of the soles
- extension of the soles behind the heel
- height of the boots/extent of ankle support
- thickness of material above ankles