An excuse to go shooting...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

John Kasaian

An excuse to go shooting...

Post by John Kasaian »

My 10 year old daughter is working on her first report on famous americans. She chose Annie Oakley (all on her own, btw) and part of requirement is to make a scrap book with momentos representing the life of the famous american that was chosen as the subject.
So be special request...

I'm off to shoot some holes in playing cards!

What a great excuse to go shooting! Five playing cards side by side is kind of like the ISU rapid fire pistol course, right?
Oz

Post by Oz »

That's great!

I hope that with some supervision, you'll let her try to put some holes in those cards too! I bet she would be so excited to tell the other kids "and I shot the hole through this ace of diamonds!".

But of course in this day and age, they would probably kick her out of school for a few days because she fired a 'weapon' :(
inventor of BB launcher

Post by inventor of BB launcher »

You aren't supposed to shoot holes in the cards, you are supposed to shoot the cards in half with one shot.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

inventor of BB launcher wrote:You aren't supposed to shoot holes in the cards, you are supposed to shoot the cards in half with one shot.
the large calibres are recommended for this trick

Spencer
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

For illustration I actually did shoot a nine of spades in half (at the distance of about 2 feet with the card stuck edge-wise in a bale of straw---Annie Oakley I'm not) using a centerfire revolver.
Well not exactly in half, more like 2/3rds---the top 1/3rd of the card was completely gone after I made the shot.
It was a fun afternoon!
Bandur60

Post by Bandur60 »

We've done this -- shooting cards sideways -- in 4-H air rifle, and even with a .177 it's surprising how quick most, maybe half of them, kids who've shot for a couple of years, will rip it up in 2 or 3 shots. Within 10 shots all who have a little experience were able to do it.

The hardest parts seemed to be: 1), how to hold the card sideways; 2), being able to see it. We used 2 clothespins, and a little oblique lighting. And, this was at the standard 10m range.

A fun and interesting change of pace from black bullseyes....