accuracy of non-lead pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

accuracy of non-lead pellets

Post by pilkguns »

Does anyone have any test results that they can post showing how non-lead pellets compare to match grade lead ones?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Are you guys hearing any rumors on the legislative front that we should worry about?
TWP

Post by TWP »

I don't have any results handy.

But I did some testing last year for a local JROTC team. Their school would not allow lead pellets to be used in the school, claiming it was a health hazard.

We tried several brands of lead free pellets in several different rifles and couldn't find any that would group better than the 7 ring on an air rifle target.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Not sure if any one has tried these. They are called 'TENS' and are made from TIN not lead. They are non toxic and recyclable.

I have no data of target tests with these pellets but the add says designed for target air rifles and pistols.

They are manufactured by PROMETHEUS PELLETS OF LONDON.
They are sold in boxes of 400.

Peeps
TWP

Post by TWP »

TWP wrote:I don't have any results handy.

But I did some testing last year for a local JROTC team. Their school would not allow lead pellets to be used in the school, claiming it was a health hazard.

We tried several brands of lead free pellets in several different rifles and couldn't find any that would group better than the 7 ring on an air rifle target.
Just an update, I ran into the coach of the above team this past Saturday at a match. He's now tested about 10 different brands of lead free pellets. The most accurate he's found so far are the Daisy brand. He says the best his shooters have done is the low to mid 90's in prone, with a precision rifle, with them. He said from a vice in his basement they would shoot about a 92 out of 100. So still not match grade accuracy, but they are using them to practice in the school now.

He gave me a tin of them to test in our rest.
tomnfamily

non lead pellets

Post by tomnfamily »

This whole idea of non lead pellets sounded intriguing - the only supplier of Prometheus pellets that offers a significant portion of their line that I could find is Uttings.com.

Maybe a call to them will yield a set of test samples to determine if any of them shoot as claimed.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

For more info and supplies of Prometheus lead free target pellets, contact
sales@cityairweapons.com

Peeps
Nosy

New Federal Lead Law

Post by Nosy »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28660388/

New federal law was just passed which is supposed to ban lead in children's products, but it goes much, much further than that. Nothing is grandfathered, so books in the library might have to be tested or replaced. Some libraries are worried they might have to ban children under 13 altogether.

Second hand stores are also impacted.

Each unit much be tested. If you run 3 books on the same printing press using the same materials on the same day, each of the 3 books must be individually tested.

Obviously this has a potential impact on our sport.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Another retarded law to address a problem where there really is none.
robf

Post by robf »

Tested a few types.

Haven't found them to be even moderately accurate or precise.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

Well with tin having a specific gravity 7.31 and lead 11.35 your are going to have real balistic problems. Silver might be better at 10.46 but then .....

The bottom line is you will need some alloy that is soft and similar in weight forthe given size and that will cost!

Julian
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Just make the pellet longer.......
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

They may require different velocities, twist rates or barrel lengths to group too. I believe all these test have been in standard .177 lead firing guns.
LeLongCarabine

non lead pellets

Post by LeLongCarabine »

Hi guys Im new to this site but not new to shooting its the only sport ive had since i was eight years old and that was fifty years ago
and the pellets your on about promethius as far as I know are not used in competition in the uk, not in the north east anyway most of the shooters here use RWS ammo, but i find resizing them really tightens up the groups with my pistol because when they come in sizes that say 4.51 and i drop them in the sizer they dont look as though they are the right size cos my sizer is for 4.52 and that means they should drop into the holes and not be stuck out proud
ok guys that my ten pence worth lol