CODE or DISCIPLINE

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mmp

CODE or DISCIPLINE

Post by mmp »

We are in the process of drawing up a constitution for a multi code/discipline shooting sport federation and need to know the common interpretation in shooting sport of these definitions?

Thank you,

MMP.
Last edited by mmp on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

National Federatiions

Post by Guest »

Don't you already have the South African Shooting Sport Federation (SASSF)?
The ISSF will only accept one National Federation from a country, and that is the one recognised by the national Olympic Federation.
mmp

CODE or DISCIPLINE

Post by mmp »

The question posed is about the definitions...Code and Discipline as interpreted in the shooting sport.
Freepistol

my opinion

Post by Freepistol »

I will take a stab at it, MMP.

Code generally refers to ethics. Examples are proper behavior and dress. You wouldn't want a woman in a short skirt shooting rifle in the sitting position next to you!

Discipline refers to the type of shooting. Smallbore rifle position, free pistol, and air pistol are all different disciplines.

Ben
Alexander

Re: my opinion

Post by Alexander »

I agree with Freepistol's distinction between the two terms, though not with his little example:
Freepistol wrote:Code generally refers to ethics. Examples are proper behavior and dress. You wouldn't want a woman in a short skirt shooting rifle in the sitting position next to you!
I would only object to such dress if she _were_ wearing underwear. In the other case however...

(In our blessed time of gender and queer mainstreaming, I however want to concede that the same argument mutatis mutandis may of course apply to the hunky honcho with cute buttocks in tight shorts lying next to you... ahem.

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IMHO "Code" would be the set of rules being used e.g. ISSF, IPSC, FITASC, etc.

"Discipline" would then be a sub-set of rules within that code, e.g. ISSF would have Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun and Running Target.
mmp

CODE or DISCIPLINE

Post by mmp »

Thank you for the positive contributions and also to those who sent personal messages.