One-Line Sayings

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Oz

One-Line Sayings

Post by Oz »

I've picked up some sayings since I started participating in this activity. Some of them sound like great sage advice from Confusious... others just make a lot of sense and seem to provide valuable input. Some are just plain silly. I'd like to hear yours.

First, two of my own:
  • A good shooter has learned when to squeeze the trigger; A great shooter knows when he shouldn't.

The scores shot at home/in training don't count for much.
I have heard this next one from 5 different highly respected individuals, usually after I explain my most significant challenge...
  • Until you don't care so much about the score, you will not shoot the scores you want.
Other various sources:
  • Practice exactly how you want to compete.

If it's no longer fun, why keep doing it?
CR19XGuest

Post by CR19XGuest »

Best one I ever heard.

Shooter A: "How can I get my gun to shoot better?
National Champion: "Give it to somebody else.

I never could get the following to work out, so please feel free to add your own finishing line:

Load more than you clean.
Shoot more than you load.
Train more than you shoot.
Think more than you train.

(Desire more than you think…., I never could come up with a good finishing line)

Maybe...Perform, without thinking???

I wish Ed Hall would chime in about now.

Cecil
2650 Plus

One liners

Post by 2650 Plus »

Well maybe more than one. Your mind controls what you do , Why not train your mind to support your shooting ? I believe there is a trap set by trying to not think. The mind hates a void and will attempt to fill the void at the most innopertune moment. The results may not be conducive to winning a match. Good Shooting which is at least 90% mental Bill Horton
David M

Post by David M »

"How do I train Rapidfire? - By standing knee deep in empty shells!!"

"Squeeze the Foresight back though the Rearsight, until it goes BANG."

"Blackpowder, the best dirty fun you can have with your pants on. "
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight
jackh

Re: One liners

Post by jackh »

2650 Plus wrote:Well maybe more than one. Your mind controls what you do , Why not train your mind to support your shooting ? I believe there is a trap set by trying to not think. The mind hates a void and will attempt to fill the void at the most innopertune moment. The results may not be conducive to winning a match. Good Shooting which is at least 90% mental Bill Horton
Bill
Here is what I would like to know more about. That is, training the mind. I kind of understand what you mean by a void.

You speak of winning the match. I would rather learn to shoot the one shot or series as best I can first. I don't really care about winning at this time. In my environment there are only small time matches. Basically, nothing to win. So I shoot to be the best me. Not the best of everybody else.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

"Trigger Trumps Sights!" - me (smile)

Cecil - Not familiar with the one you were quoting...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
trinity

Post by trinity »

"it's not the triumph, but the struggle." (from NBC's Olympics coverage intro)

and one of my own "if you plan on going further in your shooting, the shot you are shooting now, is always the easiest shot you will ever take."
2650 Plus

Not on subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

For JackS Jack, would you agree that you shoot because you love to shoot ? If that is true ,you can still win a match because you have just shot better than ever before. My motivation was somewhat different, altho I do love to shoot. I shot in the US Army championship in Europe just after having a match taken from me by changing the rules at the end of the shooting. The officer in charge held a metting where he spent considerable time going over all the reasons he would disqualify a shooter. I responded this is BS, I AM GOING TO WIN THIS MATCH AND I DONT WANT ANYONE GOING BACK TO HIS COMMANDER AND TELLING HIS BOSS THAT HE WOULD HAVE WON EXCEPT FOR BEING DISQUALIFIED. I WANT HIM ON THE LINE WHERE I CAN BEAT HIS AZZ. This was the major motivator that drove my training and competition shooting. It was not always fun but for me it was effective. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

CR19XGuest wrote:Best one I ever heard.

Shooter A: "How can I get my gun to shoot better?
National Champion: "Give it to somebody else.

I never could get the following to work out, so please feel free to add your own finishing line:

Load more than you clean.
Shoot more than you load.
Train more than you shoot.
Think more than you train.

(Desire more than you think…., I never could come up with a good finishing line)

Maybe...Perform, without thinking???

I wish Ed Hall would chime in about now.

Cecil
Spend more than you think!
Last edited by Freepistol on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Bravo Freepistol, bravo. That one just made my day.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Early on I learned that GOD dosen't care who wins a pistol match. That goes to the best performance on the range that day. Good Shooting Bill Horton
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Your next shot is the most important shot of the match!
Ed Hall

Re: Post Subject

Post by Ed Hall »

2650 Plus wrote:Early on I learned that GOD dosen't care who wins a pistol match. That goes to the best performance on the range that day. Good Shooting Bill Horton
However, your belief (faith) has a very significant effect on your performance. If you believe God is "in your corner," the confidence that feeling brings, can very well carry you to victory. God will help those who help themselves and believe in His help.

Beware of the converse...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Ernie Rodriguez

One Liners

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Even if pistol shows slight movement but the sight alignment is decent-continue applying trigger pressure until gun fires.
Richard H

Re: Post Subject

Post by Richard H »

Ed Hall wrote:
2650 Plus wrote:Early on I learned that GOD dosen't care who wins a pistol match. That goes to the best performance on the range that day. Good Shooting Bill Horton
However, your belief (faith) has a very significant effect on your performance. If you believe God is "in your corner," the confidence that feeling brings, can very well carry you to victory. God will help those who help themselves and believe in His help.

Beware of the converse...

Take Care,
Ed Hall

I guess God likes the Chinese better.

A saying from one of our National Team members.

"God doesn't give you points at a match he just takes them away."
Slowstdy

Post by Slowstdy »

Three of my favorites:
This match is only Practice for the next match.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

My all time favorite:

He who dares.

Cheers
Limey
2650 Plus

Off subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

When in combat, while others prayed, I used the time to dig my fox hole deeper. I came back. Others did not. Bill Horton
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Bill there's something that both you and I agree on. Have a good New Year.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Our club motto is:

"Shut Up and Shoot"