Cant Effects

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BartP

Cant Effects

Post by BartP »

Hello all.

I have been shooting with different cants for each position since I was born and never noticed any problems hitting the middle. But if there is some information out there that can explain cant changes and their effects OR maybe some Do's and Don'ts, I'd like to hear more. My Anschutz sights have a "cant" function and I have absolutely no idea how or why to use it.

Is there a Cant Wizard out there? bp
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I shoot with different cants in each position as well and for that reason I have to adjust my sights for each position. The effect cant has is quite substantial actually - especially with the high riser blocks on. On my free riffle if I shoot with my regular cant and then shoot with no cant at all I am about 3 inches I believe off my aiming mark so it is quite importnat to be consistant with it.

Here is a little diagram I just drew. Obviously not the greatest and not most exact but the curved line would be about where your shots would go as you cant left and right of the bull, assuming with no cant you were shootind dead on.

With your anschutz sights you should be able to adjust the sights to match your cant. This way when you are adjusting your sights it will be much easier. I.e on normal sights if you were shooting with a cant and wanted to adjust horizontally you would have to adjust the sights up as well to compensate. This way you don't.

Hope this makes sence,
Jordan
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Actually, your curved line would be another circle, still contacting the center of the original one as shown, and the same in size as the original.

Two Notes:

I have an article on cant at:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/12PPC12.html

and,

The Rika Trainer registers cant backwards to the real world. Where the shot would go left for real world CCW cant, the Rika will show it to the right. I have no idea if the other trainers are similar, but suspect they may be.

As long as the cant is consistent within a particular position, there should be no ill effect, but if it changes between positions, it will probably cause zeroing issues as mentioned above.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things