More Kneeling Pulse

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BartP

More Kneeling Pulse

Post by BartP »

Hello all.

My kneeling is VERY steady - position wise. I would shoot all tens if it wasn't for a significant 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock pulse. Right now, My scores (indoor on international targets) are hovering at 390-394 and they could easily close the remaining gap should I figure this out.

I've tried several things: 1) Move the sling placement (using the sling hook) to the far outside of the left, upper arm, 2) Increase my undergarment thickness to maximum, 3) Tested the inner-arm sling placement at different positions to see if helps, and 4) I've even made sure that my butthook goes under my armpit and doesn't have any portion touching the inner portion of my right upper arm.

The only thing that seems to help is taking in much more oxygen before each shot. The heart rate seems to decrease a bit. But in the end, I know it's a positional issue. I simply need help - maybe some where out there is a simple solution that seems to be escaping me. Is there a body-pulse I could be experiencing? Is there a shooting pants issue?

The pulse severity has gone down a bit since purchasing a new, custom shooing set from Joacim, but I'm still shifting from one side of the 9 ring to the other.

Hope you can help. Bart

Post by Guest »

My Son had this problem some time ago and we worked toward a cure for quite a while. He finally found that he had a small amount of tension in his left thigh that caused a small tremor. He relaxed that muscle and has not had the problem since. There are many other things that can cause this "wobble", but this was his solution.
Jim Holtman
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Try checking the thickness of your kneeling roll. If it's too thick, there is a lot of weight on your ankle and you might be getting a pulse from down there. If it's too thin, your foot and ankle are supporting too much of your body weight likely causing discomfort, so you tension your leg to subside the pain causing either a heartbeat or a muscle twitch.
nirvanaisanx

Post by nirvanaisanx »

I too, have a similar problem with a very visible pulse in kneeling and can truly relate with you. Sometimes it becomes so noticeable that I have to time my shots. I too need to figure this out.

I noticed that Gehmann has a new sling out called a "pulse free artificial sling" towards the bottom of this URL. http://www.gehmann.com/pages/e-searchre ... chresultat

However, I would be really surprised if suddenly my visible pulse was removed by simply using this new sling. Has anyone used it or can offer some feedback?
2650 Plus

Non-pluse slings

Post by 2650 Plus »

There is a good chance the gehman sling will do exactly as advertised. But here is another sugestion. Tubbs markets a sling that he calls the " no pulse heart breaker" in a I i/2 in issf model. It is just a simple change on what the High Power Shooters call the 2 buckle sling. And I understand he makes it in both right and left hand models. These slings do not pinch the upper arm when tightened and generally avoid the pressure on the blood vessel that causes the pulse to make the rifle to move . Good Shooting Bill Horton [ You may want to go to a leather shop and have one made for about 30 bucks ]
Juan Carlos

Re: More Kneeling Pulse

Post by Juan Carlos »

BartP wrote:Hello all.

My kneeling is VERY steady - position wise. I would shoot all tens if it wasn't for a significant 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock pulse. Right now, My scores (indoor on international targets) are hovering at 390-394 and they could easily close the remaining gap should I figure this out.

I've tried several things:........

Hope you can help. Bart
Have you tried to reduce tension on the belt just moving one point the buckle?
It's easy to try.

Hope that helps
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

how upright is your position? i change little things in my kneeling frequently and one thing that reduces my pulse is being upright. it comes at the cost of not being as hunkered down, which i like, so my position is very compact from front to back. maybe tomorrow i'll post a pic.
Juan Carlos

Re: More Kneeling Pulse

Post by Juan Carlos »

Juan Carlos wrote: Have you tried to reduce tension on the belt just moving one point the buckle?
It's easy to try.
Hope that helps
Obviously I meant the sling
BartP

Solution Found

Post by BartP »

Thanks for the input. The link to the "pulse-less" sling gave me an idea to try.

Ryan T suggested taking in a greater amount of oxygen between shots and that did help quite a bit.

I did not have to increase the undergarment thickness.

The pulse-less sling wraps behind the arm and provides relief on the inner arm where the arteries are most prominent. I simply released the tension screw on the arm-tightener and let it open to see if pressure on the inner arm could be alleviated. It worked. I shot a 197 then a 199 with relative ease. I also moved my left elbow from in front of my knee to the top and back a bit. This allowed for less stress on the sling and a steadier position.

Bp

Post by Guest »

I also have a pulse in kneeling but mine comes from my hand. I have tried moving my hand to the side or more underneath and the pule still comes into play after about 10 shots kneeling. My hand also goes numb if I dont let the tension off after each shot or so.
Any advice
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Try getting into position without the sling, and with the handstop all the way out. Keep your wrist straight, and see where your hand is on the forend. Adjust the handstop back to this point. You may find it is set longer than it had been. If so lengthen your sling and shoot some groups. (Too short a position of the handstop forces you to bend the wrist, causing pain).