Shooter with wrist problems

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Miked

Shooter with wrist problems

Post by Miked »

Some time ago I posted that the Supervisors at my Library had formed a pistol team. They're still at it, and doing quite well, thank you.

But one of them thinks she may have to drop out. Some years ago she fractured her right wrist very badly. It's healed now and she has all the range of motion in it she'll ever have again. But it's weak AND she's troubled with carpal tunnel syndrome. She's very afraid that she'll drop a pistol and hurt someone.

I suggested that she try a rifle or air pistol. If neither appeal to her I suggested that she continue on the team anyway, acting as an assistant coach or scorer.

Any other suggestions? She's actually turned into a pretty good shot.
Mr. Lurker

bad wrist

Post by Mr. Lurker »

I believe several BE shooters have found that switching to the other hand and eye, while initially frustrating, can actually be quite viable. Some good exercises also help. You might want to check the Bullseye-L list archives or even ask on the list

http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/
barjo4

Post by barjo4 »

My right wrist is pretty bad too, and I have found that some of the steel strapped wrist splints do help for an evening. The only "fix" for my wrist is to have all the bones fused and I am not quite ready for that yet.
2650 Plus

Wrist problems

Post by 2650 Plus »

Take a chance and follow Mr. Lurker's advice. Try switching hands and possibly eyes as well, altho I do believe a shooter should use which ever eye is best or can be corrected to be the best. The hand can be taught to do whatever you want it to do. My Father in law shot over 2600 with both hands and was good enough to be on the winning team in the National Trophy Team Match at Camp Perry . Good Shooting [ No matter which hand you decide to use] Bill Horton
2650 Plus

Wrist problems

Post by 2650 Plus »

Take a chance and follow Mr. Lurker's advice. Try switching hands and possibly eyes as well, altho I do believe a shooter should use which ever eye is best or can be corrected to be the best. The hand can be taught to do whatever you want it to do. My Father in law shot over 2600 with both hands and was good enough to be on the winning team in the National Trophy Team Match at Camp Perry . Good Shooting [ No matter which hand you decide to use] Bill Horton
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm at the point where I am trying to shoot with the weak hand, the left in my case. I find it easier to use my left eye when shooting left-handed even though my right eye is the dominant eye. It is very challenging for me. Part of the problem is that I'm not nearly as motivated to train hard like I was when I was young. I just don't have the fire in the belly.

I also recently started shooting precision air rifle in local matches. I am able to do this right-handed. It is even harder than shooting the pistol right-handed. I am seeing some progress, however.

Although both of these things are very challenging, they are really fun!

I would encourage your shooter with the carpal tunnel problem to cease to shoot with the strong hand and either take up weak hand shooting or strong hand rifle. To continue to shoot with the problem hand will only cause this person pain and continued debilitation. As you have pointed out, it is also a safety hazard. If this person really likes shooting he or she will continue to enjoy the sport in these other forms.