Ways of cleaning shooting clothes

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Ways of cleaning shooting clothes

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone!
My shooting jacket and trousers are Anschutz entry level.
When it comes to clean them,how do I clean canvas material?
I store them in a closet at my shooting field facilities,where there is some humidity.
Sometimes I feel theme a bit "sticky"(on the outer side)
Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Moushka

Post by Moushka »

Hello,

I recommend to clean shooting clothing like car upholstery or furniture.
There are a lot of products, foams or liquids.

Here is a description how to make your own foam.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/upholstery

Regards

Moushka
squiggly007

Post by squiggly007 »

i would not recommend cleaning with any liquids because of the starch material in the clothing to make it stiff
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Now, now, tsokasn put a very good question here...my shooting vest is one notch above tsokasn's (Anschütz lower intermediary level) and after about a year's use the pants are beginning to look, er, rather grubby...the jacket is not an issue, the only problem is the leather but I deal with that using coconut soap* but I could do with a method of dealing with the canvas in the pants without risking removing the starch from the fabric...

*= stuff available I believe only here in Brazil. Excellent for cleaning leather, keeps the material supple while getting rid of "gunk"...

Cheers NB
Junior Coach

Post by Junior Coach »

I'm with Squiggles. Don't use any liquids for cleaning. Use a vaccum with a brush attachment at most. This also helps remove lead dust. Otherwise just consider dirty shooting clothes the mark of a hard working shooter.
JC
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Two thoughts;

Have you asked the manufacturer what their cleaning advice is ?

And if your clothing is stored somewhere humid where it sometimes feels 'sticky' then don't leave it there ! It's likely to get more sticky, smelly and mouldy if left in such conditions. Store it somewhere warm and dry, like in your house.

Rob.
asmir

Post by asmir »

Hello,
I agree with all the comments, and here are couple of things that worked for me as well:
- use either Fabreeze or such to spray the extreme stink areas(armpits).
- I do no like the smell and slight residue that it leaves, so I use rubbing alcohol instead on all of my shooting clothes and shoes. It disinfects it and evaporates clean without any residue and smell left over.
- If you are storing the clothes in you shooting bag you can always put some baking soda wrapped in cloth or paper towel so it can soak up the smell.
- for the white surfaces you can use a pencil eraser to take out the gunk and dirt. It works really, well, I am just too lazy to do it all the time.
- if your clothes are wet, as mentioned before you really have to hang them somewhere so that they dry up, otherwise you are asking for trouble.
Cheers
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank's for your answers mates!