1813 Misfire

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Langy

1813 Misfire

Post by Langy »

Can any one help? My 1813 misfires, not a lot about 2 or 3 times each box of 50 rounds. I have heard instead of butting a new firing pin and spring I can move the trigger assembly forward or back under the barrel. I would love to hear all your ideas, the bloke that told me this could not remember which way.

Thanks.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I doubt the trigger adjustment will help. The movement is very little. The front/back trigger adjustment I believe is intended to be set so when you close the bolt and the firing pin transfers from being supported by the bolt to being supported by the trigger it is a smooth transition. To set this observe teh cocking indicator. It should stay put as you close the bolt. If it goes in some then move thrigger back a bit. If it comes out some then move the trigger in a bit.

As far as the misfiring goes If a good clean inside (the bolt and breech area) don't take care of it then I'd say either a new spring or a new firing pin.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

hey, since it is a 1813, it might have a good amount of rounds through it and the firing pin might need to be changed. But before we go to far ahead, can i ask you what ammo you are using. Also on your misfired rounds how is the firing pin hit compared to the fired rounds. If its only a few round per box it might be your ammo also. I would check those things before trying anything else.

lax
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Hi Langy
With the 1813 and 1913 rifles, trigger placement on the action is important, if it is positioned too far forward, you will have continual mis-fire problems, no matter how good your firing pin springs are.

Very easy to check if the trigger position needs adjustment. With the bolt open measure from back of firing pin indicator to bolt. Now close the bolt (cock the rifle), again measure from back of firing pin indicator to the bolt. If this measurement only increases a small amount (less than 0.2mm) then the trigger needs positioning further back on the action. If measurement is approx 0.4 -0.6mm then the trigger position is OK.

Good luck
Martin

Post by Guest »

I had a similar problem on a 54MS and a 1807, both were cured with new springs. One set of OEM springs was from Neil Stepp at ISS, and another set was from Wolf Springs in PA. Both were 100% effective. I always decock the firing pin when I am done shooting on all of my rifles.
I never knew about the trigger issue.
Langy

1813 Misfire

Post by Langy »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help, I use Eley club, the other people in our club that use Eley club don't have the misfires at all. I am going to clean it right up, if no better I'll move the trigger assembly back after a few measurement, if that does help looks like a new firring pin and spring. If any one has any more tips that would be great as my son and I are new to this very addictive sport.

Thanks Langy.

Re: 1813 Misfire

Post by Guest »

Langy wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for all your help, I use Eley club, the other people in our club that use Eley club don't have the misfires at all. I am going to clean it right up, if no better I'll move the trigger assembly back after a few measurement, if that does help looks like a new firring pin and spring. If any one has any more tips that would be great as my son and I are new to this very addictive sport.

Thanks Langy.
Nothing wrong with getting new springs. They are only 8.29 + shipping from Wolf. Some say that the springs should be replaced for firing pin speed anyway. Really nothing to lose by getting new ones in the mail.
http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html
10x

Post by 10x »

Hello Langy
The trigger advice is good advice. A shooter from my club had same
problem after he removed his trigger to clean it about a month ago...Moved trigger further to the rear....Problem solved....
Regards Adrian...
Langy

Post by Langy »

Hi 10x,
I will do that, it will be a week or two before i can get to the range and try it out I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks very much, nothing more frustrating, thinking that you have sweet shot on a bull and it just goes CLICK.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Hope you get your rifle figured out. Dont look at it as being so negative. Thats one of the best ways to practice, is when you think you have a live round and and all it does is go click. Get to see some things that you dont normally notice. Think of it as dry firing.

lax
metermatch

misfire

Post by metermatch »

Replace spring.

Also look at end of firing pin for being smashed. I have never seen it, but hey, doesn't hurt to check!

Jeff
Langy

Post by Langy »

Hi all,

I got a chance to go to the range yesterday, between my son & I we put 200 rounds or more through the 1813 and it did not miss fire once. So cleaning the trigger & moving the trigger assembly back has done the tick.

A BIG THANKS to all for advise, this is great site to pick up hints
NetNinja

Post by NetNinja »

Where are those springs for the 1813?

I have an 1813 super match and have owned it personally for 4 years now. It was made in 1982 and love shooting it evvery weekend.

Never a lick of problems but now that someone mentions spings I think I should order some.
Langy

Post by Langy »

Hi Netninja,

If your 1813 is going fine, leave it, let sleeping dogs lye. I HAD trouble with the odd miss fire, I fixed by cleaning out the bolt and the trigger assembly, then moving the trigger assembly back about 2mm. It has not miss fired again.

The old 1813 is a great rifle!