Motorcycle jacket for shooting?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bullseeker

Post by Bullseeker »

Just wondered if anyone could tell me if it would be possible/legal to wear a leather motorcycle jacket instead of a proper shooting jacket for shooting the 10 metre? I suddenly thought of this a couple of days ago having had problems either locating a good stockist of jackets locally to try on, or those I have found and tried being uncomfortable to wear. I reckon it would work well but realise I would have to ensure the jacket did not exceed the thickness, in terms of leather/padding, so as not to break the rules laid out by the ISSF for competitions.
I would be interested to hear your views.
Regards,
Bullseeker
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Doesn't the ISSF rules discuss button positions etc and don't most (all) motorbike jackets have zips ? I wouls however have thought such a jacket would be of very little benefit as it just wouldn't afford the same level of support or 'grip' at the shoulder or elbows.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

7.4.7.8.2 Closure of the jacket must be only by non-adjustable means e.g.
buttons or zippers.

Spencer

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your reply Rob,
The following (is a small section!) taken from the ISSF website regarding clothing rules :
'
Closure of the jacket must be only by non-adjustable means e.g. buttons or zippers. The jacket must not overlap more than 100 mm at the closure (see Jacket Table). The jacket must hang loosely on the wearer. To determine this, the jacket must be capable of being overlapped beyond the normal closure by at least 70 mm, measured from the center of the button to the outside edge of the button hole. The measurement will be taken with the arms at the sides. Reinforcing of the button hole in its immediate area is permitted. '

I tried an old Andrew Tucker canvas lined/leather outer shell jacket on the other day which had a zipper on it which gave me the idea originally. It was much more comfortable to wear and although less rigid than the double canvas it remained supportive enough around the shoulders/arms when holding a rifle.
There are however, so many stipulations in the ISSF rules that I doubt whether a motorcycle jacket would pass the criteria set which is a pity as I think I would prefer the feel and certainly the look over that of the shooting jackets available ( I do wish the manufacturers of shooting jackets would come up with a more aesthetically pleasing jacket than the ones out there at present - why so many colours?! )

Thanks again for your input and to all of you taking an interest in the topic.

Regards,
Bullseeker
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

One thing you could try is putting a motorcycle jacket through equipment control to see if it passes. Assuming you have an ISSF match in your area that you can go to.

Rob.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I tried an old Andrew Tucker canvas lined/leather outer shell jacket on the other day which had a zipper on it which gave me the idea originally.
On the other hand you could wear an Andrew Tucker jacket on a motorcycle, which might be the best place for it!

Rutty!!