Worst days on the range

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2016oly

Worst days on the range

Post by 2016oly »

Everybody feel free to add you worst day on the range.

Mine was the First mach of the playoffs for may schools varsity team. (10m 3position AR) I fell off the bus that morning and bruised my shoulder. then to make it worse i dropped my sights while i was preparing my equipment. Before i could zero them on my shighter shots i had shot out everything on the target inside the 8 ring and could not tell where my rounds were hitting. so i ended up shooting a personal low of 85/100 on prone. When i got to standing my shoulder beagan to throb making it almost impossible to relax, i shot a 78, another low. Then i shot kneeling and once more my sights were off so i shot another low of 79. that left my aggrigate score at 242. I haddnt shot that low in my entire season, i don't even think i shot that low in my life. In the end sadly i was still one of my schools top 4 scores. translation we lost for the first time to North Forsyth. the worst way for me to end a season.
squiggly007

Post by squiggly007 »

wow... your lucky, you have a shooting team at your school. if anyone even mentions anything related to a rifle at my school everyone gets all scared. But i still got a great team. Anyway i can't think of one bad day i had on the range. I love every minuet i get on the range :)
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Personally i think you have the wrong frame of mind. First off you posting to everyone here how bad your day was and how bad you shot. Well things do happen and as you grow as a shooter you learn to deal with certain things. The problem is you have are looking at your bad scores to much and not thinking how can i learn from this experience. Never Never look back at the bad shots. They are done with and you cant do anything about them, just look to the future and how you can improve your ways of shooting.

good luck

lax.
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

I agree with Lax.

We all have our not so great days on the range. However, concentrating instead on positive perfomances is much better instead of the poor performances. Scores are not a big deal either - its the performance that brought you to that score you should look at.
Westy

Post by Westy »

Every one has bad days, its how you react to it thats important.
Don't focus on the bad points. Reinforceing a negative is detrimental to your progress and can emphesise the effect of the underlying problem.
Focus on the good points as well as the opportunities to improve. Bad days give you more opportunities too improve than good days.
For example you may have had a fault in your technique and all of a sudden it becomes a significant problem. Because it has gotten worse you can now see the problem and do something about it, if it didnt get worse you would have only lost a few points here and there with out actually realising why.

For me a recent example of this was that during an air rifle training session. I started losing shots up at 11 o'clock for me this was a problem because this is an area that I rarely shoot (But every now and again I do lose a few there).
The shooter next to me was experimenting with her check piece and actually shot with out it for a while. So I naturally gave it a go aswell. I actually shot better with out the check piece, I went from what I considor a bad group to what I should be shooting. The groups I was getting with out the check piece were extreamly tight.

What did this experiment tell me? I had too much pressure on my check piece so I adjusted my check piece to fix the problem.
Now if I didnt have that bad start to the training session I would never have fixed my check piece (over time the problem had been getting worse).

If anyone is interested while I was shooting with no check piece the target was very still in my foresight (more so than had been in the recent past), while there was the obvious increased movement of my head behind the rear sight. This just goes to show how much of an effect poor weight distribution of the head can do, espcially in the standing position.
Misny

Post by Misny »

You did what should be done on a bad day when everything seems to be going wrong. You persevered! You are not a quitter! Keep on keepin' on!
edster99

Post by edster99 »

well I like to read those stories just so I know its not only me who's had a bad time. And some times they are funny! So lets not take it too seriously :)