RWS pellet question

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

big52

RWS pellet question

Post by big52 »

I have been using RWS meister pellets and was wondering if someone could tell me how to tell where to find the head diameter on these pellets? I went to the RWS site and they claim they are available in 3 different sizes, I have some R10 that on the back of them this is the plus line which is packed in the foam it clearly states the diameter on them. I have looked all over the metal can on these meister pellets and do not see the indication of this, if someone can tell me what the deal is it would be appreaciated thanks.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Do they stull put a sticker on the bottom of the tin/box with "4,59" or some such on it? That would be the nominal skirt diameter in mm.

If not on a separate sticker it shoudl be listed somwhere on the label in "X,yz" format.

Post by Guest »

I have several tins of Meisterkugeln and R-10. They don't have the exact size labeled either. They are probably marked on the box that holds 10 tins of pellets. But I have no way to verify.

Steve, have you really shot or seen 4.59mm pellets? Did you need a hammer to push them into the breech? ;)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

All my R-10's two case lots plus some stragglers have what looks like price stickers on each tin that has the diameter on it, these are both the new and old RWS R10's.

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:All my R-10's two case lots plus some stragglers have what looks like price stickers on each tin that has the diameter on it, these are both the new and old RWS R10's.
I could be vendor-dependent then. My R-10 tins only have the lot numbers on the bottom stickers. The R-10's I have are from Pyramyd Air. Where did you order yours?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I have a carton of the new R-10 Match Plus - the carton as well as each box of 100 is marked with the pellet diameter. However, I also checked my tins of (new) R-10 Match and none of them are marked. I would guess that any tin not marked with pellet diameter would be 4.50.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The sizes were on the case, the sleeve, and the individual tins. This is the same as what I saw at the RWS test range in germany too. Sizes are never printed on the tin itself, it would required different tins, but always on the sticker that contains the lot # on the bottom of the tin, with bar codes.

Heres a photo (not a great photo) don't feel like breaking out the camera).
Attachments
Pellet Size Lable.jpg
Pellet Size Lable.jpg (15.48 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Post by Guest »

The labels on the back of my R-10 tins only have the lot number on them. I don't have a sleeve to go with the tins. I wonder if they are 4.50, as Fred said.

Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

You can buy a caliper micrometer for around $30 USD

Post by Guest »

Ah, I don't think I need to worry about the exact diameter now. As long as the pellet is in a remotely diabolo shape, their dispersion at 10m is probably much smaller than my wobble. I have to say, though, the R-10s feel much nicer in the hand than the RWS Hobby pellets.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I suggest that you go to the RWS site and send them an email I'm sure they would be most willing to answer your question. Then let us all know too, because if they can't be bothered marking the size on them I might not be bothered buying them from them either.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

On my tins of RWS Meisterkugeln the Kal. 4,5 mm is clearly printed.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Anonymous wrote:Ah, I don't think I need to worry about the exact diameter now. As long as the pellet is in a remotely diabolo shape, their dispersion at 10m is probably much smaller than my wobble. I have to say, though, the R-10s feel much nicer in the hand than the RWS Hobby pellets.
True the R-10's look and feel nicer and probably shoot tighter groups than the Hobby, but there is such a large price difference that I use the Hobby for training and practice and save the R-10 for matches. I have found that that there is a slight difference in POI.
robf

Post by robf »

They probably weigh different.

All tins have 4.5 on them. I doubt you'll notice much difference between the sizes, but it might be a good op to try loads of different pellets and sizes if your not sure what your gun likes grazing on.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

robf wrote:They probably weigh different.
R-10 and Hobby are nominally the same weight - 7.0 grain - but appear to be made on different equipment.
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

Fred Mannis wrote:
R-10 and Hobby are nominally the same weight - 7.0 grain - but appear to be made on different equipment.
Have you tried the Club pellets? They are supposed to have smooth skirts. I have never used them. But they could be a better alternative to your Hobby pellets, because they might have a closer feel to the R-10's than the Hobbies with ribbed skirts.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

All tins of RWS R-10 premium line pellets for air rifle will have printed on the lid:
Kal. 4.5 mm
Cal. .177
0,53 g
8,2 gr

The same line for air pistols will read:
0,45 g
7.0 gr

The batch size will or should be printed on a sticker on the underside of the tin where it will say either 4.8, 4.9, 5.0 or 5.1 along with a batch code number. This corresponds to the head diameter not skirt.
H+N Finale Match do the same but don't print the weight.
Peepsight
robf

Post by robf »

Fred Mannis wrote:
They're not. My R-10's are 8.2 gn.

I believe older ones were 8.3 gn... can't remember exactly, but I remember not wanting to swap between my old and new mid practice for a specific reason, and it wasn't head size.
robf

Post by robf »

Just seen Ps's post. Perhaps you have the pistol variant.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Sorry folks
An amendment to my last post concerning the batch sizes.
Batch sizes on the under side of the tin will read either:
4.48, 4,49, 4,50, 4,51
I was a tad dyslexic yesterday
Peepsight