LG300XT Anatomic or LG300XT Alutec

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Walther101

LG300XT Anatomic or LG300XT Alutec

Post by Walther101 »

I am starting college next year and have decided to up grade to a Walther, but I do not know whether the Anatomic would be worth the extra money. I still plan on shooting some 3-P air events as well as standing. Does any body have any experience with either of these rifles?
Thanks,
Martha
Last edited by Walther101 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Martha
Both the rifles you mention are top notch, however, the Anatomic is far more expensive than the alutech.
Either will be good for 3-p and it realy is down to your choice.
I happen to like the anatomic only because they have gone back to laminate and this model is gaining in popularity in Europe and is over taking the Carbon Tech for sales.

Walther fit the MEC butt plate as standard and you do get a 300 bar capacity. They also fit as standard the Centra fore sight tunnel which is cant adjustable.
Peepsight
robf

Post by robf »

I shoot the alutec variant for FT, and have just recently got an anatomic.

The XT action is the same, as Peepsight has said, the fundamental differences are in the stock.

There is however a big difference in feel between them... the alutec has a 'mass' to it, the anatomic is by comparison a lighter feeling gun.

There's benefit to both, and it's down to taste. If you like the feel of the alutec, then you might not like the livelyness of the anatomic.

On first impression I liked the feel of the carbontec the most, the anatomic 2nd, the alutec next.

The carbontec did feel nicer to me, but there's no way you'll take my anatomic off me unless you give me a carbontec, and even now, that might be a "maybe".

I used to shoot a 2002, which is probably more like an alutec as a comparison... the 2002 feels slower across the target, the anatomic feels more lively.

One thing I did notice about the anatomic over the 2002, is that it's feedback is very direct. Do something wrong, or don't get something quite right, and it tells me 9/10 what it is.

Those are my personal opinions, others may differ. It might also be different depending on what you are used to.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Thanks Rob
Interesting analysis between the different models. I wonder how they would feel in comparison if they were all the same weight and all had the same C of G point.

As for feed back, that is a very interesting point you have raised.
PM me.
Peepsight
robf

Post by robf »

Thanks.

I suspect it's a lot to do with a different C of G. Both the Carbontec and Anatomic "felt" better just picking them up, however that's as far as the Carbontec got, and it's only by a fluke I was offered the Anatomic 2nd hand, hence the purchase.

The actual firing feel is probably similar, ie the trigger etc, is the same breaking glass ants leg break.

There's a slight amount of recoil, it's not as dead as a steyr LG110. It's hard to say compared to an Alutec, because mine are 12 ft/lb and lack the XT system, so they jump more anyway. My 2002 jumps more as well.

All the alutecs i've picked up have "felt" forward heavy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and with ally cylinders and weights here and there, the balance can be changed enormously. As far as the Anny is concerned, the balance felt right from the get go.

I guess that's something really of personal preference. I prefer it over a friend's Steyr... yet he can shoot the pants off me...

But yes, the one thing that I was suprised about, over shooting any other gun was the feedback. I can't really describe what it is...it just sort of says to me "that's wrong"..."that's in the wrong place"..."you did that wrong you berk" or "why on earth did you do that?"

I set mine up, shot my par performance straight away. In one session it was my new baby.

However, would I spend the additional money over an Alutec? That is a difficult question. I guess it would depend on how much a stretch the purchase was, and how much other gear I needed (ie clothing etc)... I don't think it's a case of not being worth the money, it's lovely, however, I think if it was a stretch and I was still learning, buying other gear etc, i'd think carefully. I'd have to make sure it's what I wanted for certain.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Rob
Thanks for your take on these weapons, however, from reading your last post you mention 12ft/lb which makes me think you are a field target shooter rather than a 10m shooter.
I think the original question was concerning 10m guns being used in 3-p comps and i assume at 10m.
If I'm right, the air rifles for 10m will all be fitted with recoil absorbers and comparisons will be different to those for field target.

There are differences amongst 10m air rifles fitted with absorbers re the feed back such as the very dead Anshutz 9003 and Steyr and the slightly more noticeable feed back on FWB and Walther.
Peepsight.
robf

Post by robf »

I go both ways... ;)

My FT rigs are all alutecs. However I also shoot 10m (with 10m guns such as the 2002 and Anny...)

The feel of the Alutec 10m is quite similar to an unscoped dommy. Although the dommy carries a longer cylinder, I find the common character is to do with the Alutec stock. There's something characteristic about what it does to the C of G. (even on a scoped dommy)

The Anatomic is a different feeling beast. I was quite suprised just how different in balance terms they were. I had the opportunity earlier in the year to handle the Alutec 10m, the Anny and the carbon all in one 15 minute touchy feely session... and there is a notable difference.

Shooting wise, your right, I have more experience of the full blown FT that lacks the XT system (as do/did some LG 300's)...but the feel of the alutec in the shoulder was quite similar to the 2002 (perhaps a little faster feeling)...

For me the Anny and Carbon are a progression from the alutec in how they handle... that said, it's a personal opinion... and lets face it, Gold went to an Alutec... ;)
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Rob
Thanks for your ever interesting points of view.
The ladies gold went to an old Anschutz 2002 without stabiliser and Katerina shot a 400 ex 400 in the semis. Wow, old is beautiful.

Have a look at the German shooting magazine 'Visier' where they compared all the 10m match rifles. There biggest criticism about the Walther carbon tech was there was not much return for the huge price hike. They also slagged off Anschutz for bringing out the S2 mod which they said should have been fitted as standard on all production. Good point.
Peep
robf

Post by robf »

Yep, I saw the 10m final and thought

" Well that say it all really...there's the gun that i've moved away from being used to win the highest accolade in shooting sports..."

Same with the 10m.

I agree, given the performance of the LG 300 action, XT or not, there is quite some margin increase for either the Carbon or Anny. The only reason I purchased an Anny, was because one came up at a good price, I was looking to move to Walther because I like them for FT.

The price increase probably does reflect a manufacturing cost for the carbon, and probably re-tooling for the accessories... + it's new. I don't think many manufacturers will release a new flagship or two at such a close price point to their existing range, despite the similarities.

Interestingly enough, as before, they both share common MEC parts.

My reasons however for moving were not really performance motivated... I was chuffed to bits when it felt so right, and genuinely suprised at the difference in feel/balance... so it was all good.

I suspect that the top shots could probably shoot within a few points of their PB with whatever model of any gun, as is regularly demonstrated. Beyond a certain base point, I don't think you can buy a good score... if you could, i'd be spending even more money :D

If you have the cash, then they are worth a look at, especially if you prefer something different in handling terms to the alutec... beyond that though, it's just another gun. :)
Walther101

Post by Walther101 »

Thanks for the great info on the rifles!! I have been looking at some pics and it looks like the Anatomic is longer than the Alutec is this true or are the pics that I have seen not to scale? Does the Anatomic weigh more than the Alutec?
Thanks,
Martha
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Martha
I think the Anatomic is lighter than the alutec, as for length, none exceed the ISSF limit, which i have forgotten at the moment
What looks longer on the Anatomic is the fore end which extends further forward than the alutec.
Walther supply various ballast weights that fit around the butt and the barrel so you can tailor the weight and balance to your liking.
Go onto the Carl Walther web sight and see all the pictures and specs of all their match air rifles, then you can compare the differences.
If its of any use my favourite model is the 'Pro Touch' which i believe is what Abhinav Bindra used at the Olympics, and it is not as expensive as the Anatomic
Peep
hank2222

walther lg 300

Post by hank2222 »

i have a wood stock version of the lg 300 xt air rifle for 10 meter shooting
my girlfriend and her child have the jr version of the wooden stock ex version
i have to say this the wooden version feels a lot better to me than the metal stock typle of did not like the feel of the shot when release
for a better wording of the shooting tech .the metal stock never felt right even when adusted to my body
that my 2.cents