trigger ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

sunhat

trigger ?

Post by sunhat »

how could I improve my trigger release with air rifle and smallbore.

thanks...
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

improve your trigger: gunsmith

improve your release: DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE

repeat as necessary

Poole
sunhat

Post by sunhat »

Thanks for reply

DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE,

In this case I have two choice white wall or regular target.

witch is Effective ?

I wish you luck!

Post by Guest »

This is something my old shooting coach addressed frequently when I was competitive shooting. He was concerned with three things: squeezing the trigger, follow-through, and calling the shot.

If you can, try to obtain a copy of "Position Rifle Shooting" by Bill Pullum (the first one, not the new one). There is a wealth of information in that book that any shooter would treasure - especially on this topic.

Here's an exerpt from that book addressing this question:

"Concentration is not learned completely, however, until it embraces not only the moment of trigger pull, but also every detail of follow-through. After the rifleman has thoroughly mastered the ability to analyze verbally his performance up to the moment of release, he should then acquire the habit of extending his concentration through the completion of recoil. This is the second phase of learning to concentrate, and the training technique is exactly the same. The shooter must learn to describe verbally every aspect of the shooting process up to the completion of recoil. Again, the results are the same. He becomes aware of follow-through, and can thus analyze performance with an eye to bringing about improvements. He may, for example, discover that the angle of recoil seems to vary widely from shot to shot, indicating perhaps a changing cheek pressure against the stock, or, possibly a changing position fo the stock against the shoulder, or possibly trouble with the forward arm support. These important detail;s go unnoticed by shooters who have not learned to concentrate properly to the completion of follow-through, and who continue to wonder why their scores don't improve. Verbalizing all aspects of follow-through is absolutely essential to analizing performance and correcting "hidden" problems. It's importance cannot be over-emphasized.

The test of effective mental follow-through is the ability to call the shot. A shooter who is effectively following through his performance should be able to call the shot on the basis of sight picture and recoil only."
benchrest

Post by benchrest »

I do a lot of dry firing. I scanned a A-36 smallbore target and reduced its size for the distance I dry fire. I use a 100 watt bulb in a reflector placed a couple of feet from the target. I feel it helps with trigger control. Also with technique and prone endurance. But I really need more live fire practice. I also use a scope that will focus down to my distance. The reduced target helps me to better simulate the hold on a a36 or a50/51.