Pistol case recommendations.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

spacepilot

Pistol case recommendations.

Post by spacepilot »

I have had my IZH-46M for about 2 months and I would like to get a pistol case for storage after use. The following case from Pyramyd Air looks nice and is not expensive. However I remember reading on the internet that some of the foam that is used in the cases traps moisture and will make it rust. So I wonder what cases other users on the forum are using for their guns, and if moisture is a problem. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

Wow, those are some nice cases. But my budget doesn't allow for cases that nice. Anyone else have any recommendations?
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Those cases are indeed sweet.

My German is not up to the task of trying to order one from that site, though.

Anything like that available in the States?
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

you could try harding storm cases. You would have to cut the foam out to fit your pistol but there great cases.

lax
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Irrespective of the foam (open or closed cell, polyethylene, styro, whatever) moisture can be a problem.
- While the type of foam typically found in instrument/camera cases is usually reasonably petroleum resistant, avoid getting too much lubricant onto/into the foam. Though for non-styrene foams a light spray of WD40 seems OK
- if the foam gets moist, remove it from the case and dry it out
- keep a small piece of camphor wax in a pierced container in the case - the vapour is great as a rust inhibitor.
- most foams can be easily cut to shape with an electric carving knife. An hour in the freezer helps keep the foam 'stiffer'.

When it comes to 'good looking' cases, minor scratches and scuffs stand out - more practical is a more rugged plastic case; particularly if the airline luggage handlers get anywhere near it.

Spencer
kbc

gun cases

Post by kbc »

Try Kalispel. They are very good quality aluminum cases.

I like their 4 guns and 6 guns cases.

Exploreproducts.com has very good prices for these cases.

http://www.kalispelcaseline.com/

http://www.exploreproducts.com/kalispelguncases.htm

I have been searching for a good and reasonably priced Al gun cases for a while. Kalispel cases are some of the best ones for the price range I want. And they use thicker Al sheet compare to most other manufacturers. Some of their models offer different anadized color. I have the black for 6 guns in order to fit in the AP, FP, and SP.

I use the Pelican case when I fly. But it is a little bit more heavier than the Kalispel.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by kbc on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

Thank you for the responses, guys. I think I'll go with the foam + camphor route.

Beside camphor, do you guys use other desiccant or rust inhibitor in your gun cases?

kbc, the Kalispel cases look nice and sturdy. I'll probably order their 2-pistol case after I measure my gun to make sure it'll fit.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Eurastus wrote:Those cases are indeed sweet.

My German is not up to the task of trying to order one from that site, though.

Anything like that available in the States?
Mr. Rink speaks English also, so if you need to order from there, just email him.
Eurastus

I bought the Plano case

Post by Eurastus »

While browsing the local Cabela's yesterday afternoon, I happened upon the Plano case that started this discussion. For $55, I brought it home. I was in need of another pistol case, having recently acquired an early model Feinwerkbau 103.

In short, I am a little disappointed. The construction quality is not as good as I thought it would be; there are some small gaps between the aluminum panels and the trim. Additionally, several of the fixtures (most notably one of the latches) are affixed crookedly.

On a good point, the case does look sharp externally and is relatively thin, which for this use is a good thing. The price is not bad as well, I suppose.

As you can see, a pair of air pistols will just barely fit. With the case being as thin as it is, there's really not much room for any accessories (like an extra tin of pellets or a roll of tape for posting targets) under the pistols. One airgun would find place just fine, however, with the other items alongside.

In retrospect, though I'll use this case now that I've bought it, I wish I'd saved my money and bought something better, like a Pelican 1490 or 1495. Undoubtedly, I'll pick one of these up at some time and use it as my primary AP case, demoting the Plano to holding pistols I don't shoot as often.

Here's a couple of pictures:
Attachments
Plano Case 008 (Medium).jpg
Plano Case 005 (Medium).jpg
Plano Case 002 (Medium).jpg
spacepilot

Re: I bought the Plano case

Post by spacepilot »

Thanks for the input Eurastus. Now I am glad that I didn't order the Plano case. I'll probably order a Kalispel case that kbc recommended.