Training with a single shot air pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

idpadan

Training with a single shot air pistol

Post by idpadan »

Please excuse the elementary nature of the question but I am just beginning to participate in local bullseye matches. I am considering the purchase of a single shot air pistol (Izh-46) but cannot figure out how it can be used to fire timed and rapid fire strings. Do most people use these guns for slow fire training? What type of competition are they suitable for? Thanks, Dan
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

a few companies make 5-shot air pistols

you can use a single shot for olympic style air pistol or for training for slow fire stages, you could train with a time limit on that one shot, and of course anything that helps you learn position, sight alignment, trigger control and follow thru will help other pistol shooting.

Personally I think dry firing your bullseye/ std pistol gun will be as good as, perhaps better training than cross-training with the air pistol.

Poole
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

The IZH-46 is also very popular with people who shoot air pistol silhouette. Quite different from Bullseye and Olympic 10meter air pistol. You might enjoy it :-)
boris

Post by boris »

While IZH 46M is a great entry level pistol for 10M or Silhouette shooting, it may not be well suited for BE training because of the trigger requirements.
The BE required minimum 2lb trigger pull weight, that may be out of adjustment range of IZH 46M. Steyr LP5 or LP50 (5 shot) with optional 2-6lb trigger may be better choice for BE.