Matt Emmons?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mellberg

Matt Emmons?

Post by Mellberg »

Where was he? He wasn't even in the results list today... I was sertain that I was going to see him in the MAR final.
James Way

Post by James Way »

He isn't competing for the United States in air rifle, just 3-position and prone. I am disappointed as well, because he is ranked 4th in the world in air rifle. The United States has not yet had a medalist in men's air rifle. U. S. women have been more successful.
Mellberg

Post by Mellberg »

Aha ok. I understand.

A bit strange but if he doesn't want to then I guess we have to respect that.
GUESTX

Re: Emmons

Post by GUESTX »

He did not make the U.S. Team at tryouts. Yes, hard to believe.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Some have lower than average days, and Matt had a few lower than average scores at trials. He'll do well in smallbore though. (Go Matt!)

Some have phenominal days ... that was Steve Sherer's days at the trials.

I was happy to see that both Jason & Steve shot at/above 590. It was a tough crowd ... had figured it would take a 595 or a 596 to make the final.

The live streaming webcast of the final was great. Abhinav Bindra put the gas to the metal, and just shot a fantastic final. Congrats to him! One of the best/exciting finals performances I've seen.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jhmartin wrote:Abhinav Bindra put the gas to the metal, and just shot a fantastic final. Congrats to him! One of the best/exciting finals performances I've seen.
Those of us with longer memories will remember him posting to this forum several years ago asking for advice. The question is, did he take it or did he ignore it ;-)
methosb

Post by methosb »

I wish I could have watched that final :(

I had to be content with watching the live updating score on the official site for the olympics. It was damn exciting just watching that, but would have loved to have seen the athletes themselves and the crowd.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Are you not able to get to the videos on the NBCOlympics.com website?
Finals were recorded in the streaming format
methosb

Post by methosb »

jhmartin wrote:Are you not able to get to the videos on the NBCOlympics.com website?
Finals were recorded in the streaming format
Not in the US :(

You can't access it from outside the US. I have to just hope that someone records it off NBC and puts it up on bittorrent or something.
methosb

Post by methosb »

Ooo just found this:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300654

Will have to see if they are still up when I get home.
donbmcd

Post by donbmcd »

methosb wrote:Ooo just found this:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300654

Will have to see if they are still up when I get home.
GUYS NBCOLYMPICS.com then go to their shooting site, they have sotred all the videos for shooting, watched the 50meter live last night.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As mentioned, NBC doesn't work outside US. There is however one of the european sites that does have decent coverage of the finals - although I've not yet been in a position to watch them live. It's something like eurovision sport or euro something - I'll check tonight if no one's filled in the gaps by then.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:It's something like eurovision sport or euro something
http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/
JPOC

Post by JPOC »

David Levene wrote:
jhmartin wrote:Abhinav Bindra put the gas to the metal, and just shot a fantastic final. Congrats to him! One of the best/exciting finals performances I've seen.
Those of us with longer memories will remember him posting to this forum several years ago asking for advice. The question is, did he take it or did he ignore it ;-)
Hello David,

Yes, that was quite some time ago, wasn't it! Roughly 2001 or 2002, I'm guessing. Although he did once post a question, he did not linger long on TT as I recall.

Abhinav did respond offline to at least one person who provided a detailed post in answer to his query, because he said the response was very interesting to him. Later the two of them met at a world cup and discussed the topics in more detail, and subsequently over the years in person and via email and phone. It really wasn't a matter of "taking the advice" since he already had a deep understanding of the issues raised. He ended up being the teacher!

As "jhmartin" said, it was quite a sight to see Abhinav shoot. It always is, as anyone who has had the opportunity can attest.

Take care!