Poll regarding gun and gun parts related trades

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Suppose someone places an ad soliciting a trade of grips. Another person responds to the ad and they agree to exchange grips. Who should ship first?

A) The person soliciting the trade
89%
B) The person responding to the ad
11%

Total votes: 9

sparky

Poll regarding gun and gun parts related trades

Post by sparky »

Suppose someone places an ad soliciting a trade of grips. Another person responds to the ad and they agree to exchange grips. Assume the items are of equal value. Who should ship first, the person soliciting the trade or the person responding to the ad?
AAlex

Post by AAlex »

Obviously, the person with less posts on this forum should ship first.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

With the level of trust indicated by the question, cancel the trade.
ol'coach

Post by ol'coach »

You send a US postal money order. The seller cashes that and ships. Works between two trustworthy parties. US postal order is guaranteed good as cash. If party doesn't ship, US Postal Service begins fraud investigation; you get your money back.
I would never ship an item until it, and its shipping, is paid for.
Sounds like you have issues.
ol'coach

OOPS

Post by ol'coach »

apologies - slow brain - you're not selling, but trading instead.
Send both thru a trusted third party. Maybe Scott could offer a service like that. Or agree on a "purchase price", send money and refund by sending that money back with the completed trade.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

David Levene wrote:With the level of trust indicated by the question, cancel the trade.
Yup, if you have to ask, don't do it.

All of my trades have been a "cross-ship" scenario, where each party ships on the same day. Always interesting to see that the stuff I send tends to arrive about 2~3 days before I receive what was sent to me.

Brian
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you can't or don't trust the person to exchange a grip worth a couple of hundred dollars I suggest that you don't trade. The shooting community is very small and word travels fast about dishonest parties. Do you actually know him or do either of you have any common friends that could vouch for him and reduce your fear?

My first dealing in handguns was with a dealer in Canada for a new Steyr Lp10, I couldn't believe that he shipped it to me without me paying anything and allowed me to make payments on it. All this over the internet. I couldn't help but do future business with someone that exhibited that much trust, it was a sad day when he sold that business, I know we all miss Ray ( he sometimes pops up on here still). It was a nice introduction into the shooting community, I have lent guns and parts to all sorts of people which I have barely know, only to have them returned or replaced.

Scott is someone I also respect in this regard a very upstanding trustworthy business man. I know if I lived in the US or if the US state department wasn't such a PIA I would do lots of my business with him.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I always get on the phone and call the person if there is some doubt about the integrety of the person. And, yes, I have not done deals with some people after hearing them talk for awhile. I usually ask a couple of questions and let the person talk. After they start talking about other than what they are selling or trading, I make my decision.
I misjudged a guy last month in a face-to-face dealing because I was pressed for time. I may lose a few bucks on that one.

If there is any doubt, don't do the trade. Another will be along, or you can always buy one and sell yours.
Ben
2650 Plus

Trades and deals

Post by 2650 Plus »

I usually stear clear of polls but in this case I would like to make a comment; Slinger and I had a small business deal and every thing he agreed to was carried out in a most perfect manner. He was a pleasure to do business with. Note that he is a registered member of this forum. Maybe that really means something. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Freepistol

Re: Trades and deals

Post by Freepistol »

2650 Plus wrote:Note that he is a registered member of this forum. Maybe that really means something. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Gee, Bill, I think you just talked everyone out of ever doing a transaction with you! ;>)