CMP Airgun Range at Camp Perry

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

CMP Airgun Range at Camp Perry

Post by Misny »

I just got back from Camp Perry. I was fortunate enough to get to shoot a 60 shot air pistol match at the new 80 point facility that CMP recently completed. All I can say is WOW!!!!! Each firing position has electronically scored targets. I talked a little with Gary Anderson, the CMP Director. He said that the match we shot was a CMP registered match. The CMP apparently will develop a classification system of their own. The CMP plans on running airgun matches there this winter.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Some of our group shot at the airgun range last night (16th). It is truly impressive, they have spent a ton of money on the place and there's dozens of firing points, east side and west side of the metal building. The electronic scoring is very similar to the range in Colorado Springs. Best yet, it's quiet, air conditioned, and very well lit!

One of our shooters was doing exceptionally well. The black "target" backer that runs down from the target assembly had perfectly spaced apart very-close-to-center holes running down the paper/tape. I told him his new nickname might be "sewing machine" since it looked like the holes could have been put in by a Singer. He's a user here too, so I'm sure he'll see this post!

Post by Guest »

The range is absolutely fantastic. However, the CMP should consider keeping it open later in the evenings during the National Matches.

It closed at 7:00 PM, right when most pistol shooters were finishing their dinner. What a great way to pass a hot Ohio evening, in AIR CONDITIONED COMFORT!!! Problem was, when you got around to thinking about it, the range was already closed!

They ran a 30 round daily re-entry match (until 7PM), and a 60 round championship Sunday after the hardball matches. Needless to say, most shooters were on their way home shortly after the hardball matches. They just need to adjust the timing of it.

Those that did check it out and shoot some of the matches- like me - were completely overwhelmed. It is truly a world class facility. Hooray CMP!!!
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

After a number of complaints, they let people shoot the 60 shot match on Saturday or on Sunday. It sounds like next year they will run it more like the Grand Prix, with either squadded relays every day or "come when you can".

You are right, the range is fantastic and I am so glad to have such a great range closer than Colorado or Georgia (I am in Illinois).

I doubt that I would have shot any later than 7:00pm, but I would shoot earlier in the day if I could. They didn't open until 1:00pm, which precluded me from shooting when I was on 3rd relay. I would like to go shoot 30 shots in the morning some days. Getting in a quick 30 shot match before team matches seemed to work well for me.

Steve Turner
Slo cat

Post by Slo cat »

I shot the 60 shot match on Saturday. Doing so on Sunday would be a chore, after shooting 100 shot of hard ball service pistol earlier in the day. Match results for the 60 shot are posted at the CMP site, http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_e ... &awardID=1

and the 30 shot re-entry match results are at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_e ... &awardID=1

It would be nice to know what the CMP plans in the future for this 80 firing point air gun range. 80 electronic targets in one shooting facility must have been very expensive. One doesn't construct something like this without having a long term plan for it's use.

Best Regards,
Slo cat
johnRW

Post by johnRW »

I shot there on Wednesday night, and it is a fantastic facility. This was the only match I shot at Perry this year, even though I live 25 minutes away. I had my wedding that coming weekend, so my time was very limited.

I hope that the CMP makes use of this facility year-round. I, for one, will pay money to shoot there on a regular basis.

jrw
Misny

Post by Misny »

Congrats on a fine score and third place showing Slo Cat.
Fabian

Great Facility

Post by Fabian »

Just wanted to echo the comments made previously about the facility, it is outstanding, world class. Matt, the guy in charge of running the matches did a fine job at accommodating every shooter and at answering all the questions. I just want to make a few constructive comments.

First: The facility has scuba tanks for re-filling of pistols/rifles. However, none of the tanks has a regulator in place or the proper fittings. (yoke).

Second: It is difficult to shoot a match being constantly interrupted by other shooters getting in line or by someone going downrange to fix the target backers.

Third: The range schedule should be modified, it should be open in the morning and in the evening. I'm sure that many people lost the opportunity to shoot due to lack of time in the afternoon. If you shoot team matches there is conflict with the schedule.

Fourth: Sunday match/ Saturday evening should be squadded, with an exact time to start and to finish.

Fifth: Shooters need to be educated as to proper behavior in an international shooters range. There should not be people making noises on the line, eating, or moving from side to side when others are in the process of shooting the match.

Congrats again to MATT and the CMP personnel..

Regards,
Carlos

Post by Guest »

Regarding Fifth point: having just come off the President's 100 and NTI line and into the totally quiet, dry, well lit, non-muddy, and air conditioned Air Gun Range, I thought it was really funny hearing the faint roar of the NTT Rapid Fire Match behind me on Range 4. It brought a smile to my face!

But you are correct, I personally never shot International anything before and would have benefitted (as would others) from a small primer on the procedure and etiquitte for Air Pistol Matches. Good point.
j-team

Re: Great Facility

Post by j-team »

Fabian wrote:Fifth: Shooters need to be educated as to proper behavior in an international shooters range. There should not be people making noises on the line, eating, or moving from side to side when others are in the process of shooting the match.

Regards,
Carlos
Did you ever notice that background noise doesn't effect the good shooters?

Think about it.

I've been at a world cup where the local fans have cheered each ten shot by their man and everyone else just kept shooting.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

With regards to noise, I have to echo the previous posters comment, anyone who's been to any international level events knows that it definately is not quiet.

Anyone have photos of the range, I'd be interested in seeing it.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Here's the CMP's story about it with a few pictures:

Camp Perry Air Gun Range Open and Active

Please don't consider any of the following as being negative about the range, but I did observe a few things I felt were less than perfect. Overall, the range is a great accomplishment and fantastic.

Although Tony Silva shot into second place, he had to move mid-match because his black paper strip ran out. He shot well, but did the move affect his score? Granted, things happen, but that was one thing I believe shouldn't happen in a match.

I personally don't like the fact that the white portion of the target doesn't get changed. If you fire a wide shot on paper targets, it's gone with the target change. For the targets at the CMP range, those holes are there to distract through the match.

As to noise, I know there is going to be an ambient noise and often, the person troubled by noise is the one looking for reasons for poor performance, but rule 7.4.1.3 prohibits sound producing devices, like timers that beep when you press the buttons. The target boxes at each point beep when you press the buttons, How would this be different from timers? Is a competitor distracting if he is checking out the different views on the unit?

Again, I'll echo that it is a great facility. I hope my comments weren't taken as too negative.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things