Advice on prone position

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Advice on prone position

Post by tsokasn »

I know that it is very difficult to explain with words to a new shooter the correct position but I recently got my self a Anschutz mod.1907 and I wonder If you could point me some advices on prone po0sition?
Thank you!
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Hi Tsokasn

there are several good books out that have great pictures and good discriptions of all the shooting positions.
two books that I like are

1. Ways of the rifle
put out by Mec

2. Position Rifle Shooting
By Bill pullum & Frank Hanenkrat

hope this helps

Dave
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Trying to describe to you the direct prone position on here would be very difficult. As blue62 mentioned, ways of the rifle would be a very good book to get. Although this book is expensive it would be worth it in my mind. I have Position rifle shooting book and although it is an older book the general principles are still there.
blue62

Post by blue62 »

Hi Jordan

I also have A.A. Yur' Yev's competitive shooting book
sometimes refered to as the russian book.
I paid about $35.00 or $40.00 for it near 15 years ago.
a large price at the time. now out of print it goes for over $100.00 on various websites.
But for me the value of the information in these books far outways the cost.

Dave
BJ

Post by BJ »

I highly recommend buying "Ways of the Rifle." There is so much good information in the book and there are tons of pictures, so its easy to follow.

I can't explain a good prone position to you over the internet, but I do know of a few useful tips to get you pointed in the right direction.

1. Your left foot needs to stay in one spot such that it doesn't move. Most people like to prop their foot up on their toe but this can be a problem, because the toe of most shoes is curved and you foot will roll around. The simple fix is to wear shooting boots with a flat toe on them. I personally do neither. I rest my foot on its side flat on the ground where it will not move around.

2. Your left hand position is important. You do not want to be gripping the stock hard with this hand. Doing so requires the use of muscle which is bad. It is ok for your hand to grip the stock but you have to do it with same amount of pressure every time. Once again I'm kinda strange I don't grip the stock at all. I let the stock rest in the palm of my hand and fingers just sit there and don't touch the stock, therefore I don't have to concern myself with applying the same pressure every time.

3. Sling position on your left arm is another important thing. You want the sling to be as high up on your arm as possible, or at least that's what I've been told. If you don't have a sling keeper on your jacket you need to get one so that the sling stays high on your arm. Also there may not be enough holes in the keeper to get the sling as high up as possible so don't be afraid to punch some more holes.

4. This bit of information on the sling is debated by some but I've been told by some very well respected shooters to do this and it works for me. Do not tighten your sling down around your bicept at all!! If you have the sling in a keeper as high up as it will go its not going to move anywhere and you don't need to tighten the sling down. By tightening the sling down you are actually transferring pulse. I personally can really see a difference in my hold, due to pulse, with a tighened sling vs a loose one when I shoot scope.

5. If you have the adjustable butt plate on the 1907 then here is the base line for getting it set up properly. You want the butt plate to contact the shoulder as high and close to the neck as possible. While you are doing this it is also beneficial to go ahead and try to set up your butt plate such that you can cancel as much cant as possible out of your position. Cant isn't bad you just have to duplicate it everytime and if you can get rid of having to worry with this why not?

I hope this helps some,
Brian

P.S. I also shoot a 1907!! Most people shoot the free rifle stocks or the aluminium ones but the standard stock will hold its own!! I'm shooting proof of it lol :)
TomN

Post by TomN »

Pay attention to head position, cheek pressure and eye relief. These should be absolutely consistent from shot to shot. If you wear corrective lenses, position the lens so you are looking through the center to avoid seeing an oblong bull.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

First of all,thank you for the answers my friends!!!
I've been told by peepsight(hello peep!) about these books and I am aware of buying one(Ways of the rifle at 48 euros from www.euroshooting.eu)
But sometimes,advices from experienced shooters are better from the book and tested.
Once again thank's for the help!!!

Post by Guest »

Stay Low.
2650 Plus

Prone

Post by 2650 Plus »

Guests last post was to stay low. Not too low as rules requirs a 30 degree angle between the support surface and the fore arm [The one with the sling ] Good Shooting Bill Horton
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello Bill!
I am on the rule!
Thank's!
methosb

Post by methosb »

As far as sling position goes - high up the arm doesn't work for everyone. You can also have the very low sling position that can work fine as well (every person in the prone final at the Olympics had a very low sling position). The important thing is that it is not placed in the middle of the arm as this is where you will get a pulse from.

Another very important thing when first setting up prone is getting the sling arm in the correct position. The goal is for your sling arm to hold all of the weight and direction of the rifle. Your trigger arm should not push or pull the rifle around at all. So you should be able to take your trigger hand away from the stock and the rifle should sit there on the target by itself without you having to use your muscles to hold it there.

Some tips for setting this arm up:

- Push your elbow as far out as possible (your armpit should be almost touching the ground) then adjust the height of the rifle with the handstop position and sling length. This way you ensure that your position is the same height every time.

- Place the elbow only a little to the left (or right for left handers) of the rifle that way the weight of the rifle comes almost straight down. You can experiment with exactly where is should go. If it is too far in either direction you will feel your centre of balance tipping to either side. So just place it where ever you feel that the weight is coming straight down.

- Make sure your place your hand under the rifle, not to the side of the rifle. The stock should sit on your hand so it is quite close to your thumb and your fingers are just sticking out from the stock relaxed. There should be no tension in this hand, the stock merely sits on top of it, it does not hold the stock.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'm reading "Position Rifle Shooting" by Bill Pullum & Frank Hanenkrat. I checked it out from my local public library. It is packed full of good information and photos.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

methosb
I am doing exactly as you say.Today I maust say,I placed the sling one jacket holder hole higher.I only felt that I had to pull the handstop 5mm towards the trigger.I will continue this way and see if it is better than the previous setting.I must also say that the sling position was already high,at the end of my tricept.I never had pulse on the riffle.
Misny
Thank's for the answer.I am about to be given the Ways of the riffle by a friend.
My big consern continues.It is the blur on my aiming eye.I tryied closing the rear iris,breathing,eye relaxing but nothing.Today was a very bright day and after about 30 rounds,blur on the bull.I don't know if this can be occured by the press on my chic by the chicpiece?(I think that I will buy a polar len for the foresight)