MEC Trigger - Good, Bad, Irrelevant?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Nick_Burman

MEC Trigger - Good, Bad, Irrelevant?

Post by Nick_Burman »

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a MEC Trigger for my rifle, however before I open my purse to part with the monies I would like to know the opini9on of those who have already purchased one. What do you think about it, has it helped in any measure?

Cheers NB
batty

Post by batty »

I bought an Anschutz trigger the other week and i love it, its alot cheaper than the MEC one too!

its this one

http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/an ... Path=11_72
Westy

Mec trigger

Post by Westy »

Ive just got a mec trigger shoe that replaced the factory shoe on my fwb air rifle. And I like it, there were two reasons why I got it: I wanted to bring the shoe into the centre line of the barrel (fwb only allows an offset setup on either side) and I wanted a flat shoe as I dont like the curved ones.
Since I have got it I have discovered that it doesnt quite go all the way into the centre, however it is still very close and the rubber rings ensure a constant finger placement on the shoe.
Another bonus for it is that because of the ball joint it has you can set it up so that it is vertical at the moment the trigger breaks.
I feel my trigger release has improved since I got the mec.
I will eventually buy one for my .22 aswell but I cant afford it at the moment.
I definatly would recommend getting one.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

The MEC trigger is a good upgrade as it allows a more central position and other adjustments.
Check out the TEC-HRO 'TOUCH' trigger, it does the same only more so and the diamond pattern surface have sharp points so your finger can feel its position plus the 2 rubber bands for positional placement.
This must be the ultimate trigger to date.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Hi,

is there somebody who has a MEC Trigger and has a vernier caliper too? I would like to know the exact width of the trigger blade.

Thank you for the help!
Barney

Post by Barney »

The trigger blade or shoe part if you like is 7mm wide and 22mm long.

I think its a great trigger shoe, and have been using one for about 2 yrs now.

However, I am currently saving my $$$$ to purchase a Tec Hro shoe.

It has a lot more adjustment and I like the fact it has a very sharp and rough contact surface.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Thank you, Barney.

BTW, in the MEC-book I've read that the trigger blade shall be vertical, symmetric and under the barrel axis. I'm thinking that they have right. Why do you need so many adjusments?

And the rough surface: I've ever had only flat trigger blades. What are the advantages of the sharp and rough surface?
Barney

Post by Barney »

More ajustment just gives you more options.

Plus it gets the average punter buying their tweeky bits to bling there rifles out in search of those extra ten's.

Personally I agree it should vertical to the trigger, so the triggers pull is square, however I dont think it necessarily has to be right under the barrels axis.

I was using my mec shoe on a FWB 2700 (R/H) and had it on the far left rail (as it has two of them) because my finger went too far past the shoe if I used the other rail.

The main reason I got it was so I could have the blade sqaure at release and not angled back like most of the others.

As for the sharp rough surface, I think its good because you get a more positive feel, especially if you have hard tough fingers from years of manual work.

Barney
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Nick
I don't think the MEC trigger is irrelevant, its just the trend with some good back up physics behind the principle. Pretty expensive though.

I'm glad you raised this subject, because i have been trying to make a note of what triggers some of the world class shooters are using while watching the ISSF TV.

Most of the Chinese shooters are using FWB 700's with the stock trigger.
I saw one Eastern European shooting a Walther Carbon tech fitted with a FWB trigger and i saw another Walther Anatomic fitted with a MEC Start trigger. I saw an Anschutz 9003 fitted with a MEC and i saw another FWB fitted with a Tec-Rho trigger.

I fitted a FWB trigger to my Walther Pro Touch, only because i don't like button triggers and preferred curved ones.

Peeps
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Long time no view this forum... :-) well, I've bought the thingy, and yes it did make a difference. It's a bit of a pain to set up correctly, but once done it is very comfortable, considerably better than the standard issue Anschütz trigger. However it took the passage of an Ukrainian coach for me to make proper use of it.

Cheers NB
Last edited by Nick_Burman on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Nick_Burman wrote: <snip>
However it took the passage of an Ukranian coach for me to make proper use of it.

Cheers NB
And what additional info / advice did they give you with regards its setup ?

Rob.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

RobStubbs wrote:
Nick_Burman wrote: <snip>
However it took the passage of an Ukranian coach for me to make proper use of it.

Cheers NB
And what additional info / advice did they give you with regards its setup ?

Rob.
He didn't give any other additional info, he just validated/fine-tuned my settings (which was nothing other than following the instructions in the box and/or in "Air Rifle Shooting"). What really made a difference was my trigger-finger, he repositioned it; sounds simple and stupid, but it was something that had passed unaware with me and that made heaps of difference. He also explained the theory behind this repositioning move. A simple explanation which made a world of difference.

Cheers NB
maestro

Post by maestro »

Nick_Burman wrote:He also explained the theory behind this repositioning move. A simple explanation which made a world of difference.
...and what is this simple but effective theory? If it isn't a secret, could you tell it to us? Thank you in advance!
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

maestro wrote:
Nick_Burman wrote:He also explained the theory behind this repositioning move. A simple explanation which made a world of difference.
...and what is this simple but effective theory? If it isn't a secret, could you tell it to us? Thank you in advance!

He just repositioned my trigger finger so that the trigger shoe now lays between the middle of the fingertip and the joint. He argued that since this area of the fingertip is harder, it is easier to give the trigger that final "kick" to release the shot once you've reached your "steady state". He also argued that placing the trigger finger this way gives the least amount of disturbance during release. Nothing much special, but made a lot of difference...

Cheers NB
maestro

Post by maestro »

Hi Nick,
thanks for the info, I'll try it...
robf

Post by robf »

the mec feels a tad better than the stock walther button, but if you use the elastic bands as a touch guide it isn't as height adjustable... but then that wasn't a problem for me as it was in the right place.

it feels a tad better... against the button... but i'm not sure it's going to make $x difference, but if your happy, then you tend to shoot better.

i have one on one of my FT rigs, and the stock ones on my 10m and my other FT rigs, and I don't really notice a difference apart from a tad more crispness, and that could be the trigger unit because that's been fettled on the sear...

looks nice though :D
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Went and bought one myself. Compared to the older anschutz trigger and the one I replaced that with, it's much better.

Still smarting at the price/size ratio though :D
2650 Plus

MEC Trigger

Post by 2650 Plus »

Let me suggest that buying the lattest super device instead of more ammo may not be the fastest way to winning scores. Be absolutely sure you really need the device before you spend tha money. See if you can find someonr that has already purchased one and try their trigger [or what ever] first. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Sparks

Re: MEC Trigger

Post by Sparks »

2650 Plus wrote:Let me suggest that buying the lattest super device instead of more ammo may not be the fastest way to winning scores. Be absolutely sure you really need the device before you spend tha money. See if you can find someonr that has already purchased one and try their trigger [or what ever] first. Good Shooting Bill Horton
I did wait for four years before buying it (and then bought it for a good reason, namely that I had a problem I couldn't fix with the kit I had). But it is good advice in general.