AP at National Matches - CMP

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

CR10XGuest

AP at National Matches - CMP

Post by CR10XGuest »

I did not see much news of this, but the CMP appears to be planning for a Air Pistol match at the National Matches this year. I believe I saw mention of a lot of positions. Check out the CMP website (and you have to drill down for details).

Since AP is now officially at Camp Perry, will we see Pilkguns there again?

Hope so!!

Cecil
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Link and info I could find so others don't have to go digging for it, if there's more, please post it (I couldn't find anything else):

http://www.odcmp.com/NM/pistol.htm
NEW IN 2008--NATIONAL MATCHES AIR GUN EVENTS

The new CMP Competition Center—Camp Perry that will feature an 80-firing point air gun range with electronic targets will be finished and open during the 2008 National Matches. The traditional re-entry air gun matches that previously were held in a small air gun range on Commercial Row will move to the new Competition Center located just east of Petrarca Range. Pistol shooters who would also like to fire in air pistol matches are invited to bring their air pistols to Camp Perry. Daily air pistol reentry matches can be fired in the new range during the pistol matches from 8 July through 12 July. On 13 July, after the National Trophy Pistol Matches, a squadded 60-shot air pistol match will be fired. This match will be concluded with finals for men (women and junior finals will be scheduled if there are sufficient junior and women entries). See page 12 in this program for additional details on these matches.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Is this a new competition or just a new range? The NRA has included Grand Prix AP and AR matches in addition to the reentry matches for as long as I remember. Is this match not still running each year?

If this is a new CMP competition, I wonder what affect it will have on the NRA Grand Prix...

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
Misny

Post by Misny »

It looks like this might replace the Grand Prix. Heck, if I can, I'll shoot the 60 shot air pistol match. It might have been worth it to go to Perry just for this. I wonder if the NRA will have any air gun shooting on commericial row? I'd like to try air rifle, if I can borrow one.
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I find it interesting that it will be squadded after the "Hardball" Service Pistol Matches. How many have fired an Air Pistol after two or three Service Pistol matches? A 1.1 pound trigger, precision slow fire, after 100 rounds of a 4 pound trigger, .45/9mm, sounds like a recipe for disappointment. I had intended to try fitting the Grand Prix into my schedule, but I don't believe that's when I would have chosen.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
US Air Force Shooting Teams
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
fred.mannis

Post by fred.mannis »

Shows you where the money is - a new 80 point 10 meter range with electronic targets just like that, while OTC has windups (or did the last time I was there). Is this going to be a permanent shooting facility?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The new 80 point range at Camp Perry is a permanent compliment to the new 80 point airgun range at the CMP facility in Anniston, AL.

The CMP mission is to promote shooting to qualified US citizens with a special emphasis on youth.

The 3 position air rifle program has grown tremendously from its inception in 1998 or 1999. Many of today's top Olympic rifle hopefuls came through this program.

While the new Progressive Pistol Progam was developed to hopefully repeat the rifles shooters successes in the pistol arena, it is not fully a CMP program, but can be supported by use of these facilities in order to focus on youth development through marksmanship.

I suspect the CMP Charter does not allow it to directly donate to USA Shooting, but it seems to me that making these facilities available is a big step in growing future Olympic champions.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Pat McCoy wrote: I suspect the CMP Charter does not allow it to directly donate to USA Shooting, but it seems to me that making these facilities available is a big step in growing future Olympic champions.
Both entities are tax-exempt organizations, with different purposes. It would be quite strange and, to me at least, non-sensical for one exempt organization to raise funds for another. When I make a donation to an exempt organization, it is not so they can give it to someone else.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Air pistol after service pistol? What an interesting challenge. I wonder how many people will stay Sunday afternoon to shoot the match? Personally I would prefer it earlier in the week, but I know the schedule is pretty full.

I'm going to give it a try this year, but probably won't be able to stay that late every year. I will get home rather late on Sunday, but, fortunately, it is only 5 hour drive. Others have a lot further to go.

The Grand Prix format is nice, since you can fit it in at a time that is convenient, but I also like shooting shoulder to shoulder on the line and I have never competed in (or even seen) a final, except on TV. It should be fun.

See you there,
Steve Turner
Pistol Manager at NRA

AP at Camp Perry

Post by Pistol Manager at NRA »

I just spoke with Shannon at the CMP. They have not gotten all the details worked out yet for the Air Pistol Match at Perry during the Pistol Phase of the Nationals. It replacing the Air Gun Grand Prix that the NRA used to run. They are meeting on friday and should have the details. I will be getting them as soon as they have them and I will post it here and on the Bullsyey list.
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

AP after service pistol on an 80 point electronic range, who cares. I shoot AP training in the afternoon after shooting bullseye in the mornings.

Maybe we can start a Overall Grand Perry Aggegrate - Preliminary, NRA 2700, NIT, Presidents and AP total.

And if you don't want to shoot after service, it seems the reentry match wil run thoughout the week (hopefully).

Cecil Rhodes
CR10XGuest

Post by CR10XGuest »

What I meant to say was...

I don't mind shooting AP after the CMP matches. There should be some time break and probably a few hours if you don't shoot the ball team matches.

I, for one, will do my best to fill up the range and participate.

Hopefully, there will eventually be times for shooing the match on any day from SAFS Monday through CMP Sunday.

Thanks
Cecil